X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cubbear
    Experienced
    • Nov 29 2008

changing rear axel ratio

anyone lower rear axel ratio to get better low end? if so what ratio did you put in?
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by cubbear
    anyone lower rear axel ratio to get better low end? if so what ratio did you put in?
    It's a nine inch, should be easy to get different gears. Not in a tbird, but a friend of mine changed his 3.0 gears out to 3.56 gears in his Nash. He is happy with it, but this isn't a car you are going to run down the hi-way (see photo).

I have 4.11s in my olds, makes it fun in town, but running down the freeway it spins it pretty good going 70.

Both cars are only running 3 speed autos.

Seems like he paid a guy 250 or 300 to swap out the gears, but he took the carrier in to the guy.

Cheers
    RustyNCA

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

You didn't say what kind of driving you do. What's the intent?

I put a 4.30 in my '90 Mustang convertible (5.8 EFI/AOD). Perfect around town and short commutes. This thing pulls stumps, but shifts into second before crossing an intersection. No brake-torque necessary with a slippery torque converter; just mash the gas pedal and let the new cam go through its torque range. Before both wheels hook, it's hard to know exactly when it shifted between 1-2 and 2-3. That's why I look at the tach. Fun factor = TEN, and never been beat on the street. Every time I get in and start it up, I smile.

If you don't have overdrive and only drive around town, I wouldn't go over 3.90. A more sensible gear is a 3.73 or a 3.55 if you do highway driving. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

Richmond Gear website has a few calculators that can help you decide what you want.

You put in your tire diameter, and other info., then it tells you what rpm you will be running at certain rpms.

I have a C6 auto trans, 28" rear tire diameter, and 3.50 gears.

A buddy of a buddy changed my gears for 50 bucks. Deal of the century, and it was done right, because he is an old dirt track racer who can swap those gears with a blindfold on.
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎