X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckaroo
    Experienced
    • Jul 24 2013

Wire Wheels

As a newbie, I have a "dumb" question. The 1958 Tbird we just bought has wire wheels. I assume the center section comes off like a hub cap to get at the lug nuts. But I did see that there is silicone sealant around them so there must have been an issue with them rattling or staying on. First is it correct that the lug nuts are behind the small hubcap? I have a regular spare, is it safe to assume it will fit on the car? Is there a way to tighten up the hubcaps so I do not need the sealant around them? Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.
    Dena & Dennis Gorder
    1958 Coupe
    Registry # 3422
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

The "silicone" is probably Goop Automotive glue, a temporary fix to get the car sold, and now its the new owners problem.

There's a lot of after market parts out there, so your wheels may not be original. Example here: http://www.hobbycar.com/thunderbird-wire-wheels.html

Wire wheels are a high maintenance item, and they don't typically survive in good shape for over 50 years. You should pop the hub cover off and try to find out who made it. Then you can get some expert technical assistance.

Post some pictures. One of the experts here can help you better.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎