Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't keep my 59 running where should I start?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vernz
    Experienced
    • Jul 12 2008

Can't keep my 59 running where should I start?

My 59 J-code suddenly started running very roughly while driving at about 40 mph. It hesitated badly whenever I gave it gas. I barely made it home. Since then it has quit on me a number of times when trying to drive a few feet. I found that the choke heater tube was corroded through and I replaced that. I also replaced the fuel filter. Today I ran it at idle up to operating temperature. It ran fine although I did notice the vacuum dropping off from about 18 to 15 inches when idle speed fluctuated downward. It accelerated nicely when I goosed it while in park. After running this way for about 10 minutes I put it into gear to drive down the driveway and it almost immediately quit. It restarted, but again quit when I put it into gear. One issue I know I have is that my accelerator pump is not working, but that should cause some hesitation not the severe problems I am having. I have the pertronix (sp?) electronic ignition installed. I have plenty of spark. I've also noticed that I need to dump fuel into the carb to start it even after it has been running. Where would you start looking to solve this issue? Thanks, Vern
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

How old is your gas tank. My first thought is that the screen in the tank may be clogged. It seems like a fuel delivery problem to me. It could also be a bad fuel pump.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

Originally posted by vernz
      My 59 J-code suddenly started running very roughly while driving at about 40 mph. It hesitated badly whenever I gave it gas. I barely made it home. Since then it has quit on me a number of times when trying to drive a few feet. I found that the choke heater tube was corroded through and I replaced that. I also replaced the fuel filter. Today I ran it at idle up to operating temperature. It ran fine although I did notice the vacuum dropping off from about 18 to 15 inches when idle speed fluctuated downward. It accelerated nicely when I goosed it while in park. After running this way for about 10 minutes I put it into gear to drive down the driveway and it almost immediately quit. It restarted, but again quit when I put it into gear. One issue I know I have is that my accelerator pump is not working, but that should cause some hesitation not the severe problems I am having. I have the pertronix (sp?) electronic ignition installed. I have plenty of spark. I've also noticed that I need to dump fuel into the carb to start it even after it has been running. Where would you start looking to solve this issue? Thanks, Vern
      Definitely sounds like you are fuel starved.
      1. Bad fuel pump- You can disconnect the fuel line to the carburetor and check pressure and volume. Each one is critical.
      2. If the volume is low, I would suspect the pick up filter in the gas tank is plugged.
      3. Carburetor-You said the accelerator pump is not working. This makes me think there may be a problem with the carb. Are you still running the Ford 4100? You could have plugging in the carb causing the problem. If it is a 4100, you can pull the lid on the carb. and actually run the engine. This allows you to check float levels.
      4. Gas tank vent? Did the car used to run okay? If the gas cap vent is blocked, it will starve the engine. The gas cap definitely needs to be "vented".
      I used a small 3 gallon boat gas tank for about 2 years while I was restoring the car. Just ran a rubber line from the plastic gas tank to the fuel pump and used this to move the car around. If you did something like this, you could isolate the gas tank from the fuel pump. If it runs okay with a remote tank then you filter in the tank is plugged. If it still has problems, I would suspect the fuel pump or carb.
      Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by vernz
        ...Where would you start looking to solve this issue? Thanks, Vern
        I would start by taking John's advice.

This is every easy to prove. Use a 2-gallon gas can and run a fuel line hose from it to your fuel pump. All auto parts stores carry fuel line. Two gallons should take you at least twenty miles.

See if you can sustain 55-70-MPH. If so, drop the tank. If not, your fuel pump may be bad. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If it's not a fuel delivery problem I would look at the carburetor. Do you have the original Carter AFB. If so they are very easy to work on. I would take the top off and see how dirty the bowls are. It may just be dirt in the idle passages causing it to die at low speed. If it hasn't been rebuilt lately I would take it apart and totally clean it out with some carb cleaner and install new gaskets and accelerator pump. The kits are readily available.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎