No announcement yet.

shift collar removal

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

shift collar removal

Well, the Bozo Brothers struck again. No wonder my horns ALWAYS sounded and I had to disconnect the wires. Bozo only used one insulator instead of two on the steering wheel. They also soldered the button to the spring on the contact wire so it has no movement.

Now my current problem. I printed Alexander's instructions for changing out the shifter (my old one was really worn with no rubber on the end) and shift collar. I've got every thing apart but cannot find the wires for the turn signal switch at the base of the steering column. I looked by the steering box and under the hood by the master cylinder but no wires. I looked under the dash and found the backup and neutral safety wires but no turn signal switch wires. I have A/C with the K-H brake booster. Do the wires come out on the top or bottom of the steering column? Do I need to lower the steering column or take out the brake booster? I'm so close to finishing and could use some help. Thanks in advance. My last resort is to cut and splice the wires.

RE: shift collar removal

I used Alexander's steps to remove the steering collar but got stumped on pulling the turn signal switch wires through the steering column. I disconnected the wires after removing a good part of the dash underside. I tied a cord to the wire bundle and wrapped it in duct tape. I could not pull it out. It moved a little but I was afraid to really pull it hard and rip the wires. After studying the situation, I realized that the turn signal switch was held together by 4 little tabs. I bent them up with a small screwdriver and took it apart. Be careful of 2 small springs that pop out. After disassembly, the switch was easy to remove from all parts. You really don't need to get under the dash at all to unplug and pull the wires. I believe the complete job can be done from the steering wheel end of the column. I plan to reassemble all the parts this weekend.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

I have done it that way also. It is difficult to reassemble that turn signal switch because of those little springs. Are you sure there are only two of them?

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

I only found 2 on the carpet in the front floor under the steering column. There appears to only be a need for 2 springs to hold the black plastic sliding turn signal switch in a neutal (centered) position. Push in one direction and the spring forces it back to a centered position. These springs look to be about the same size as found in a ball point pen. I'll let you know if the rebuild is successful or if I'm going to have to use hand signals from now on.

Comment

• tarps3
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 21 2003

I removed the turn signal wiring thru the column when I replaced my turn signal switch.
          I didn't do it all in one bundle though.

What I did was get a very long piece of chord and tie one of the individual wires in the middle of it.
          The chord must be long enough so that when you pull the knot (with the single wire attached) thru the top of the column, you still have enough chord hanging out the backside to pull it out the bottom again. You then tie another wire in the knot and repeat the procedure for all the wires individually.

I did it this way and had no problems.

Casey
          60 hardtop
          Casey

Comment

I put the whole mess back together this weekend and the turn signal switch was actually quite easy to put back together with the 2 little springs.

The most difficult operation was getting the 2 square headed bolts that go through the chrome collar to catch on the 2 square hole cutouts on the inner steering shaft tube to "catch". I finally did it by putting the 2 nuts on only a few turns and that let the bolts slip over the tube and then fall into the square slots. Tightened the nuts and everything was in place. Last thing I still need to do is force the new shift lever into the new collat and shift tube. I then plan to put a towel on one end of a C-clamp and use the other end to slowly force in the roll pin into the collar and shift selector. Then the steering wheel will be put on last.

Then I'll cross my fingers and hope the horn, shifter, and turn signals all work.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎