Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Y-Blokkah
    Apprentice
    • Oct 4 2018

Thank you, Sir! I make a phone call tomorrow for info and availability.

Between y’all and ex California folks on our highways in Collin County, y’all sold me on this rig.
    I see my life pass before my eyes every single day now.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

I can be a little thick at times but... Your profile doesn't list a Thunderbird. Your first post in this thread referenced '59 T-Bird wheels.

Is this brake setup for a Squarebird or a full-size Ford?
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Y-Blokkah
        Apprentice
        • Oct 4 2018

Yup. I have a 59 squarebird convertible.

Trying to make it safe for today’s North Texas idiocy.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Y-Blokkah
          Yup. I have a 59 squarebird convertible.
          Trying to make it safe for today’s North Texas idiocy.
          Then Ernie, I suggest you definitely buy the Scarebird spindle brackets, the ABS kit #9787, S-10 calipers and pads, a combination proportioning valve, 3/8" & 7/16" IFF nuts and a 3/16"-diameter coil of CUNIFER brake line. This brake line costs more than steel but it never rusts, flares like butter and the cheapest IFF (inverted flare fittings) tools work just fine for perfectly formed ends. I did a video on this.

I hope you will do the work yourself. If you don't have a pair of brake line pliers (for bending brake line) go to your nearest Harbor Freight and pick up a pair for TEN bucks (minus the 20% coupon). I bought a pair of Lisle for $30 before HF started selling their own. They both do the exact same thing.

By far, 'power front disc brakes' is the best upgrade on my cars. Everyone who installs them LOVES the performance. I've never heard anyone say they will go back to front drums.

I'm sure you will have questions and that's ok. Many of our members have done this retrofit. Take lots of pictures as you go along. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Y-Blokkah
            Apprentice
            • Oct 4 2018

I shall, sir. Thanks.

My first order of business for this car is an investigation of a couple spots on the lower quarters that I looked at a bit sideways.
            I really don't see anything really untoward, but I've been doing this way, way too long, and better safe than sorry.
            And,... the spare tire well was "repaired" at one time.
            It appears to have been done by a Chimp coming off a 10 day drunk. #2 to fix.

This car has a 390/C6 combo in it, so I'll investigate that a bit further as well. I'm a real DR fan, but a C6 is definitely the trans of choice when it comes to simple old fashioned durability.
            I also have the complete original engine/trans on a pallet, so who knows...

If my Crown Vicky was half this solid when I started with it, I'd have been over the moon.

Sorry for the thread drift. I'm just seeing a nice, solid, easy driving car here that's gonna be able to actually run with today's traffic when needed, and be the cool old car at the same time. HAPPINESS!

Comment

• Woobie
              Experienced
              • Apr 1 2016

While you are stopping on a dime with the new disc brakes, consider seat belts to keep everyone on board in place. There's something of sorts on installation in the tech library. You should double check but I believe there is no point reduction during judging at a show because it is a significant safety item.

When we did belts on our Bird we just reproduced an old Chrysler schematic.

good luck with new brakes
              Austin

Comment

• Y-Blokkah
                Apprentice
                • Oct 4 2018

Car’s got lap belts already. A good thing.

Originally posted by Woobie
                While you are stopping on a dime with the new disc brakes, consider seat belts to keep everyone on board in place. There's something of sorts on installation in the tech library. You should double check but I believe there is no point reduction during judging at a show because it is a significant safety item.

When we did belts on our Bird we just reproduced an old Chrysler schematic.

good luck with new brakes

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎