X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whitebird
    Apprentice
    • Jul 4 2009

Gas Gauge

I got a good amount of water in my trunk last fall. After i cleaned it out I found the gas gauge not working. Could the water have shorted out something?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Yes. More likely, the rust would cause rust which insulates rather than causing a short circuit. Does your gauge read, full scale all the time?
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• whitebird
      Apprentice
      • Jul 4 2009

No, it doesn't register at all. Stays on empty and doesn't move. The gas tank is full however.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Take the wire off the sender and ground the wire (yellow-white) to the body of the car and turn the key on. If the gauge goes all the way to full then the problem is either the sender or your tank is not grounded. If the gauge doesn't move then either the gauge, the CVR or the wiring is bad.

John
        Last edited by jopizz; February 26, 2018, 05:51 PM.
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bird 60
          Super-Experienced
          • Mar 18 2009

Sorry to intrude, but I have a similar problem. When I turn the ignition on, the needle moves about 1/8th of an inch. I could be driving for a few days & stays the same. Then bingo, it's working fine. I did the test that you suggested John, & when turning the ignition on, it showed full. Could I have an Earth problem, or the Fuel Sender sticking.

Thank you.

Chris....From OZ

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

The sending unit rarely 'heals' itself. More likely you have a ground issue. I suggest you follow Marcelo's solution. He used stainless screws (but brass will work as well) to do the following...
            Attached Files
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• bird 60
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 18 2009

Thanks Dave. I'll have it looked at first chance I get. Will give report when done.

Chris....From OZ.

Comment

Gage issue

Originally posted by jopizz
                Take the wire off the sender and ground the wire (yellow-white) to the body of the car and turn the key on. If the gauge goes all the way to full then the problem is either the sender or your tank is not grounded. If the gauge doesn't move then either the gauge, the CVR or the wiring is bad.

John
                I have the same exact issue on my 1965 Bird. Two wire sending unit is new, tank looks very new also. I ground the Yellow wire and Gage reads full. So my question is, what is the best way to ground the tank?? I am new to this so please explain..

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The best way to ground the tank is to connect a wire directly from the tank to the frame of the car. It doesn't matter where on the tank you connect the wire to. You can also put a ground wire on the sender. It has to be securely bolted to a clean spot on the frame or undercarriage.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Gas Gauge

Just make sure that when you drill a hole in the gas tank, that you are not actually drilling into the tank itself..... On our Squarebird tanks there is a flange around the tank. According to what I see, the Flairbird gas tank should also have a similar metal flange around the tank. A good place to drill a hole to ground it... Here is a pic of the 1964-1966 Flairbird gas tank.
                    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• bird 60
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Mar 18 2009

We're going away to a Rock "N" Roll & Car Festival this coming week-end. It's 160 miles away, & I'm taking the Bird to the Mech to adjust the brakes. Whilst on the hoist I'll get him to check the earth connections for the Gas gauge. Hopefully that's all it's going to be, loose, or not making good ground.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎