This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 AM
KULTULZ

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyd View Post

I don't have a kick down hooked up yet, for now I have been manually shifting. I have a ratchet floor shifter in her(fun to shift!!)
I see you have a LOKAR installation, I am assuming of your design. I see what may be a provision for the kickdown rod (or cable).

Can you describe the assembly? Is it custom or store bought?
Old 08-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Nice intake set up.

I like the home-made fan shroud as well. Can u tell a cooling difference?

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Experienced

skyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird430 View Post
Nice intake set up.

I like the home-made fan shroud as well. Can u tell a cooling difference?

I definitely notice a difference now. Last summer, I couldn't get her to stay cool, while cruising through town, As so many of us.

Last week she sat running for about 1/2hour and never got above 200. and it was about 90-95 out. while slow rolling through town she stays at about 195-190. I am very happy with the results so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I see you have a LOKAR installation, I am assuming of your design. I see what may be a provision for the kickdown rod (or cable).

Can you describe the assembly? Is it custom or store bought?
I winded up going with a lokar cable and pedal and found some $10 bracket at the local auto shop. I started fabricating a bracket and rod that would utilize the existing pedal, but when I saw the this cable bracket for $10 I figure why waste time when I could spend $50 for a lokar pedal and cable. I mounted the pedal on the firewall, drilled a hole through the fiewall and mounted the cable through that.

I can take some pics tonight of the pedal and cable assembly if you are interested.

There is a spot for a kickdown cable on the bracket, I would need to see where i could attach the cable to(on the carbs) for it to for it to work properly.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:06 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:

I winded up going with a lokar cable and pedal and found some $10 bracket at the local auto shop. I started fabricating a bracket and rod that would utilize the existing pedal, but when I saw the this cable bracket for $10 I figure why waste time when I could spend $50 for a lokar pedal and cable. I mounted the pedal on the firewall, drilled a hole through the fiewall and mounted the cable through that.

I can take some pics tonight of the pedal and cable assembly if you are interested.

There is a spot for a kickdown cable on the bracket, I would need to see where i could attach the cable to(on the carbs) for it to for it to work properly.
So the mounting bracket is LOKAR also? Yes, if you could take some close-ups.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Experienced

Actually, I think the bracket is a Mr. Gasket, I did some minor rigging on that one. Lokar makes one that is a perfect fit for the cable I bought, but at the time I was going a different route.

Here are some close ups:

let me know if you want to see other angles, hopefully these will help.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:58 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

I really appreciate your time on these. I am trying to figure out how to actuate the kickdown, again using a cable (for clean appearance). My thought is to have a cable run on the passenger side of the carbs to be initiated properly (reverse pull). Have you given much thought as how to design the kickdown?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Experienced

are you running a 3X2 also? What Trans do you have?

I agree, if we were to fabricate something it would also have to be on the Passenger side. I have seen a Lokar setup that removes the tripower linkage altogether and routes the throttle and kickdown from the front passenger side of the car. I will try to locate it today and attach the link.

I think the cable setup looks clean, removes a lot of bulky rods and brackets, although I have seen a setup or two with rods that look real nice.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

John Draxler posted this on the Digest, in case someone wants one. He may have info on kickdowns.

Posted by: "John Draxler" jdrax@tds.net piezy
Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:08 am (PDT)
Hi guys
I found a friend of mine without email has 2 complete tripower setups
they have been rebuilt by Joe B. who is the pro on these things
they are both show ready
contact him if interested
Terry at 217-473-1989 or 217-245-5468
tell him I sent you
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
John R. Draxler Thunderbird Ranch
7158 Co. Rd. B, Pittsville, WI 54466
ph 715-884-6546 fax 715-884-6720

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Experienced

here is the link to the Lokar setup:
http://www.lokar.com/product-descrip...barrygrant.htm

Thanks for the info fomoco, that looks like a good source. I know the challenging part of all this is that the tripower was not an option for 58-60 birds, so a lot of the brackets and connectors did not exist.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:48 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:

are you running a 3X2 also? What Trans do you have?

I agree, if we were to fabricate something it would also have to be on the Passenger side. I have seen a Lokar setup that removes the tripower linkage altogether and routes the throttle and kickdown from the front passenger side of the car. I will try to locate it today and attach the link.

I think the cable setup looks clean, removes a lot of bulky rods and brackets, although I have seen a setup or two with rods that look real nice.
No. A fellow at another board is modifying a 1966 PARKLANE, the problem being that most 3X2 setups were for STD. TRANS. The kits were available over the counter (complete 3X2 changeover kits for either trans type) for automatics but cannot find the included instruction sheet that would give linkage details.

The LOKAR setup-

-appears to be for installations with forward mounted fuel bowls. It is a clean design though.

If one could modify such an arrangement to work on the opposite side, it would be one clean installation. The throttle cable would have to be mounted @ the bottom of the fuel throttle shaft lever and the kickdown @ the top to work backwards. Have a feature that would allow the adjustment of the passing gear cut-in point. It seems to me a specially custom made mounting bracket would do the trick. One could then retain either the OEM linkage or the linkage style shown (LOKAR) with Heim Joints.