X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ford351c594
    Experienced
    • Mar 6 2015

radiator hoses

so I bought not thinking....seems to be common place..., corrugated radiator hoses.... obviously round metal will not fit well on oval radiator ports...... anyone got pics of a "pretty" radiator hose set up on your Tbird?

Hoping to have it running again with all the goodies installed in the next few weeks if knees allow me to put some time in........
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Hi Ryan:
    Which engine are you running in your Bird? Do you still have the cooling tank? Set up might be different.
    Nyles

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

I have the ribbed style both top and bottom on my '60 / 352 (NAPA).

The replacement radiator inlet and outlets are a little less round than the original but work with the ribbed style too (original on top).

Since the engine fire I did order both of the molded style - thinking the 10+ year old ribbed style could be stressed and I don't want coolant all over the engine again (old radiator blew couple of years back).
      Have only installed the top one but I'm not impressed with it. It's Nylon reinforced but does not have an internal spring - probably not necessary but I'd rather have one than not. Came from Mac's, Found that O'Riley can order the hoses no extra charge. I got mine from Mac's because I was ordering fuel lines and other stuff so decided to get it all from one place.
      Your overflow tank and radiator connections should be nice and round - someone may have tried to pry the old hose off and bent them. Should be able to carefully massage them back into shape.
      No pics of the new one yet....

Eric

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

Eric:
        If my memory serves me correct, I think they only put springs inside of the preformed hoses, on the bottom or suction side to the water pump. This prevented the hose from collapsing. The top hose has pressure going back to the radiator so it shouldn't collapse.
        As a side note, if your metal fittings are not round, you could always use an exhaust pipe tubing expander to make them round again. Auto zone here has the expanders available on their free loan program. I never tried doing this, but it seems like it should work. Just go slowly.
        BTW, I have preformed hoses on top and bottom with no problem.
        Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Nyles, you are on the right track.

At the factory, we draw all the 'fill systems' down with a vacuum. I'm talking about brake, A/C, PS and radiator fills. Remember, each car must complete within sixty seconds before the next car arrives.

If a system has a leak, no vacuum and no fill. In the cooling system, that wire inside large hoses prevents collapse which would inhibit and choke off vacuum flow. We often hear of a 'bubble' inside the cooling system which causes a partial fill and an overheating situation. Evacuation totally eliminates this possibility. If any air exists, it's coming out and replaced with liquid. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Ford351c594
            Experienced
            • Mar 6 2015

its a 352. yes it has the cooling tank still.

The end of the ports are round yes, it is a brand new unit from Cool Craft, but the fast transition from the round part to the oval or stem part stop the hose too quick to try to run these...

Attached Files

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Well that just put my OEM expansion tank to shame.

Hadn't even thought of that type hose. Looks nice.

That is a really sharp turn from the expansion tank to the Radiator. Does someone make a 90 deg elbow that you could insert and use two short straight pieces to get from the tank to the radiator?

Guess you could make a loop but that might trap air and look wanky.

Eric

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Ford351c594
                its a 352. yes it has the cooling tank still.

The end of the ports are round yes, it is a brand new unit from Cool Craft, but the fast transition from the round part to the oval or stem part stop the hose too quick to try to run these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-Chrome-St...dVQ8J~&vxp=mtr
                Custom parts means custom hoses. An oval is merely a squashed circle, so measure the circumference and divide by 3.14 to get the correct diameter. Then take measurements of lengths of each leg and the angle, and go to your local store with a good inventory to match one up.

Comment

• Ford351c594
                  Experienced
                  • Mar 6 2015

after looking around a bit i'm either going to run just black or use one of those silly stainless kits that go over the hose and redo the heater hoses to match. I'll get rid of the corrugated heater hoses make them match. I looked for silicone hoses but no one makes a radiator hose in silicone with that sharp of a curve......

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎