Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wudro
    Experienced
    • Jan 25 2015

I pressed the clerk at the DMV and finally got her to admit that custom plates are under a different set of rules. I could stick with the original and just pay normal yearly registration with no issues. Apparently, they don't want to "Waste" custom plates for cars that are not on the road, even though I paid the yearly fee ($55ish). It baffles me.
    I called my insurance carrier, SF, and they quoted me at $20 a month for liability. That's $240 a year, plus $55 for the plate. Too much for me to justify. I got 2 plates out of it that look cool to hang in the shop or use at shows in the future, so maybe I'm good with it. If anything, next April I'll let it expire and check daily for it to pop up available and get it again! Gotta work the system to your advantage, if you're at a disadvantage.
    SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by bird 60
      Hi Nyles, CUSTOM plates are a personal thing. I don't know how strong Roman numerals are in the States, but here in Australia very seldom used or seen. With the first one, I would be totally confused & with the other one half confused. Probably most Classic, Vintage & Veterans Cars here in Australia are insured with a company called SHANNANS. My '60 BIRD is insured for $70.000 & I pay $280 per year agreed value. My '79 Cadillac Eldorado is insured for $21.000 agreed value & I pay $174 per year. Both cars are Club registered & can only drive them 90 days each per year on log book. On the other hand, my 1989 Mercedes daily driver on regular registration on agreed value for $8,000, I pay $337 per year.
      My Custom plates BIRD & my Caddy ELVIS cost $ 200 each per year. 60 P

Chris......From OZ
      $80 a year rego for my '66 T-bird, likewise my much modified big-block powered '55 F100 and no limit on when they can by used, no log-book etc

Full insurance on both is around $270 a year each but the 'bird is only insured for $30,000 and the F100 for $45,000.
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• bird 60
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 18 2009

Our rego for classics is $87 a year.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

I use JC Taylor Insurance and recommend them. They have a reasonable policy on driving your car. As long as you're not driving it daily, they're pretty much OK.

In Ohio, we can register year of manufacture plates. I found a beautiful set of '60 plates that evidently were on a summer car back in the day. They still look new:

They are coupled with the 25 year antique plates registration.
          DGS (aka salguod)
          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
          www.salguod.net

Comment

• Wudro
            Experienced
            • Jan 25 2015

Anybody know who has the best price on Dynamat? Sure is expensive stuff, but probably well worth it. I see a 9-pack equal to 36 square feet on the bay for $148ish. Where did you guys get yours from?
            SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• sidewalkman
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Wudro
              Anybody know who has the best price on Dynamat? Sure is expensive stuff, but probably well worth it. I see a 9-pack equal to 36 square feet on the bay for $148ish. Where did you guys get yours from?
              I got some off Ebay, was ton of it (100SF) for 150.00US the seller was GT Sound Control. It's knock off Dynamat but I've had it in for a couple of months and it makes a massive difference and there's enough for the trunk too
              Scott
              South Delta, BC, Canada
              1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
              Red Leather Interior!
              www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
              Thunderbird Registry #61266
              http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

I'm pretty sure this is the one I used and liked: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-sqft-50mi...QAAOSwxN5WVM3t

I bought sound deadener from 2 different sources and one of them had a reinforced plastic backing. This one did not have near the adhesion that the one listed above has and I liked the heavy foil backing much better.
                You could order a small quantity to try it and see if you are happy with the product. If so you can get 100 sq. ft for about $90
                Dynamat guarantees their product from not coming down or separating if you use it on your roof. Dave here on the site is adamant about not using a sound deadener on your roof that won't breathe since you could trap moisture and cause rust. I'm going to check with the upholstery shop to see what they recommend since they would have a professional glue gun to secure anything to roof.
                Nyles

Comment

I've just installed some of that cheaper style dynamat, $120 for 40sq/ft here in oz, just enough to cover the floor in the cabin.
                  Seemed to stick ok, probably except for one spot which was just somewhere I think I missed cleaning, nothing a bit of glue won't fix.
                  Be interesting to see how it performs especially with a noisy little windsor in there.
                  Equivalent amount of the real dynamat here would have cost 3x the amount I paid.

Comment

• Wudro
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 25 2015

Good stuff Scott, Nyles and Chris. Yeah, I figured there has to be an alternative. I'm not racing and I'm not trying to break the Sound Barrier with my stereo, so the Dynamat seems extreme. I'll keep researching and listening to any other suggestions....

I've also read that "Fat-Mat" is comparable. I checked the price and it looks like way more bang for your buck.
                    Last edited by Wudro; April 26, 2016, 06:16 PM.
                    SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• dad's58
                      • May 15 2009

I used BoomMat from DEI the I got from Summit Racing in my 58.
                      I think its a good product.

Comment

• Wudro
                        Experienced
                        • Jan 25 2015

Cool, thanks David. I've seen that as well. The overwhelming negative response I've seen with inferior products is they Stink! No, not the quality, but the smell test. "People" say when the heat rises they get an asphalt smell. Some say it goes away after the adhesive bonds and settles, some say never. This concerns me. The last thing a woman riding shotgun wants to smell like is a Roofer!
                        SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• dad's58
                          • May 15 2009

Did mine a couple of years ago inside the car, never noticed a smell with it. Putting it in the trunk this week. Also used some of their other products, under carpet UC and UC lite.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎