Where to start

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start

Hey all, my first post...

I just got a 59 hardtop. I runs but I know I need to do some work to get 'er running like a champ and to finish restoring 'er, eventually will be a daily driver. Any sudgestions on to where I should start. I would appreciate any and all feedback.

For example.... 1. I know carburetor needs work (the hose coming out of left side isnt going anywhere)
    2. Add factory a/c
    3. Add power brakes
    4. Add power steering

The rest....well lets just start there. Thanks all...

RE: Where to start

1. CHANGE THE OIL !!!!!!!! (and oil filter)
    2. Rebuild the carb (or get a new one if you can)
    3. Change the plugs and..........
    Get a petronix ingnition (I just put one on my 58 and WOW what a difference.)
    4. Get a shop manual
    5. Read the many posts on this board when you have problems
    ........the rest will begin to fall into place as you go along.............Have Fun !!!

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

Welcome to the board.

If you have a hose coming out of the side of your carburetor, it is not the original carburetor. If you can identify it, you can rebuild yourself at little cost in the meantime before investing in an original type.

A Thunderbird with no power steering or brakes is quite rare. Getting the parts for the power steering should not be very difficult. It will cost several hundred dollars though.

Power brakes is a little more difficult to add. Probably the easiest route is to use the late 1959 -1960 firewall mounted brake booster. Unfortunately with this you cannot use the factory A/C unit unless you find the very rare spacer that the dealers used to ofset the booster from the firewall to clear the evaporator of the A/C.

A used complete factory A/C unit will run from $1200 to $2000. I have complete dealer instruction on how to install this if you need it. It is a lot of work.

I alo concur with Kevin to change all the fluids. It is also a good idea to change the screen in the transmission and to clean the screen in the oil pickup in the engine oil pan.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

Hey thanks for the info. I have been and will continue to keep a close eye on the boards for info. This week end were gonna change out the fluids.

I dont think its the orig carb. I am doing all my investigating this w/e when I have time...

Thanks again guys...

Comment

time for next step

Getting the parts for the power steering should not be
          >very difficult. It will cost several hundred dollars though.

Time to add the power steering...all is going grat with the resoration so far...

So where is the best place to find a power steering add on kit?

Also part 2 of that question is... Would it be better to add a different Ford ps unit from another year car? Your input please

Jymi

Comment

What dos this mean...

I forgot to ask in my last post... but I found a little metal tab on the front of the carb that had this "65ZF D" and below it (still on the tab) "A 4GD"

I think the "Z" is actually a "Z" and not a "2" however I wrote it quickly this morning and might be off I can check again to help clarify...

Any info on this new info? Thanks

Comment

• KULTULZ

RE: What dos this mean...

>I found a little metal tab on the front of the carb that had >this "65ZF D" and below it (still on the tab) "A 4GD"

Should read C5ZF-D. It is off a 1965 MUSTANG.

Comment

>A used complete factory A/C unit will run from $1200 to
                >$2000. I have complete dealer instruction on how to install
                >this if you need it. It is a lot of work.
                >
                >Alexander

Just an FYI -- Nick at Nick's TBirds quoted me a price of $1000 for a complete factory air setup. All the parts would need to be refurbished/rebuilt but ... you get the idea.

Comment

• JohnG
                  John
                  • Jul 28 2003

where to start?

A fundamental consideration might be to make sure the car runs
                  at a proper temperature. (Especially if you are considering an AC!). This might involve checking or doing some or all of the following:

* flushing the cooling system (who knows HOW long the stuff in
                  there has been there or what it's like)

* making sure it has a thermostat and that it is the correct
                  rating

* making sure the sending unit and temp gauge work accurately
                  so you're not being misled. (a sub area of this is the little
                  voltage regulator on the back side of the instrument panel).

* making sure nothing leaks from hoses to the overflow tank to
                  the heater core.

Since the byproducts of overheating are varied and potentially expensive, I consider these things are worthwhile.

John
                  58 Hardtop
                  1958 Hardtop
                  #8452 TBird Registry
                  http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                  history:
                  http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎