No announcement yet.

need instructions on removing 1966 gas tank

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

just got a '66 'bird and it runs awesome from a gas can but can't get gas from the tank. I'm planning on having the gas tank flushed and sealed by a local radiator shop that did the tank in my '65 Lincoln 'vert perfectly...figured I'd change out the pick up while I'm there. So, I have the straps removed, plug and fuel line from the pick up taken off and tank won't drop. It almost looks like the exhaust is getting in the way but before I just go hacking it off was wondering if I'm missing something. Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

hehehe, figured it out on my own

so, on the '66 (not sure about other years) there are 2 straps, with 2 j-hooks, then the pick up has a plug (from what I've read up on them it can be set up with or without the low fuel warning) and the fuel line. once these items have been removed, go into the trunk, remove the metal cover over the fill tube, then the 4 screws to remove the oval cover that goes directly over where the tube goes thru the trunk floor. then you remove the 4 screws in the filler door holding the filler tube to the car, reach inside and twist and pull the tube directly out from the tank. now since I'm having the tank cleaned and coated I'll have to replace the seal it looks like where the filler tube goes into the tank. my exhaust is bolted together so it doesn't look like I'll have to cut it, just pull it apart (will try tomorrow in the sunlight). so far so good, wish me luck!

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi John!

Glad you figured it out by yourself. Last night, I was going to post to you, but did not do it because I was not sure how a '66 gas tank is set up. Our '58-'60's have that screwed on cover in the trunk under the mat also. The wiring for the fuel sending unit goes under that cover and the access to the fuel sending unit is through that cover once you have it off. With the cover off you can take off the wire to the fuel sending unit, and also take out that unit to replace it, or work on it if you have to.

It sounds like you have figured it out and now all you have to do is to get your exhaust out of the way. On our older Birds, at least in my case when had mine off, the tank just drops down without getting in the way of anything. Good luck!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

thanks sarge

yeah, it also looks like nothing should get in the way once I have the exhaust out. it's bolted together just in front of the axle so now have to pull apart however many years of rusty exhaust pipe to get the tank to drop. it looks like it even has a relief in it to go right pass the rear end center section. of course I just put 5 gallons of super in it last week so the weight and movement from the gas sloshing around is going to suck, plus I lost $20 of fuel now...lol

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Your tank should or might have a drain plug on it. If so, it is a matter of unscrewing that plug and letting that gas drain out into a container, thereby saving your $20. If it does not, you should be able to siphon it out using a long fuel hose, or something like that and doing it the old fashioned way. Suck on the end of the hose. Or Autozone and other car parts places sell the siphon hose with the squeeze bladder on it that will do the trick for you!

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

I droped my tank without messin with exhast. Came right out!

Comment

• ricksta56
              Apprentice
              • Jun 27 2022

I'll be here after my brake job. I'm enjoying finding these posts. My current tank has a lot of rusty sludge and The fuel line is blocked up pretty solid. The tank also had 2 leaks. one I was able to reach and seal where the bird bottomed out, "Skid Plate" anyone. The other leak is up above, unseeable on the passenger side.......

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Rick,
                It sounds like you need a new gas tank. All Tbird gas tanks are made by a Canadian company for us. You can get one at any of the Tbird Parts houses. For your year Tbird, it is gonna cost abut $250-$275 for a new one. The Bird Nest sells just the tank for $259. You will also need new fuel lines from the sound of it. They should have all the parts you will need. Go to their website, go to Parts, key in the year of your Tbird and Gas Tank and you should see all they have available.

Bird Nest is the best place for 1958-66 Thunderbird parts. Call us today at 1-800-232-6378 or visit our website at www.tbirdparts.com.

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I suggest when you are ready to buy a new tank that you buy it from Rockauto.com. Their price will be a little cheaper than the parts houses and we always have a 5% discount code. Don't waste time trying to fix your old tank. It will just sludge up your fuel system and carburetor.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Also remember that Rock Auto sells parts for about every car ever made, so when you need parts for your Daily Driver, check them out. It is my understanding that the 5% discount they give us applies to any parts, not just Tbirds.

Comment

• ricksta56
                      Apprentice
                      • Jun 27 2022

We dropped my tank out today, 1 strap broke under pressure from the rachet the other side, the bolt of the hook bolt snapped. We twisted out the Inlet fuel tube after removing all hdwe, and using a bit of penetrating oil. looking at the inards, its toast for sure.

Comment

• ricksta56
                        Apprentice
                        • Jun 27 2022

009.jpg
                        Pilgrams progress

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎