Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Applying +12 to the F terminal makes the alternator put out maximim amperage all the time. Yes, the alt will get hot when taxed that hard.

Let's talk about the load... Even a new battery can be overcharged. If you jumper the F terminal, your dash ammeter should show maximum amps on the 'charge' side. Either the battery is taking current or you have a short that is shunting amps back to ground.

By jumpering the F terminal, you are totally bypassing all regulation and your battery should show an overcharge on any VOM. Stab the prods into the battery terminals first, then stab the terminal clamps. They should read the same. If not, clean your battery terminals and the mating clamp surfaces. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

mine too !!! why?

well, i just joined this forum when i saw this post while searchging for a probable cause for my system not charging on my 65 tbird....i just got back to ny from a trip to florida - virtually trouble free until i was home for a wek and took the car out for a ride - i noticed that the headlights were dim and it qued me to check the ampmeter - yes, it was on discharge and i just made it home....took out the battery and recharged it....figured that the alt was bad so i bought a new one along with a new regulator as well so as to eliminate all troubles at once...well, after installation, the car starts right up but does not show a charge - big drain when i put on the brakes or headlights...NOTHING else was done to this car that i jusyt put 5000 miles on...before this happened, the system worked as it should cycling between charge/discharge.....was there ever a solution found for this problem?....checked voltage at the bat post on the alt - 12.6v....checked the voltage on the field post on the alt - 0 v.....really in a delimma...any help out there???...many thanks...

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

John, I hope you can understand the electrical diagrams.
        In troubleshooting, I always find out if the alternator can put out or not. If it does, the problem must be at the regulator or associated wiring.

Go ahead and follow post #28. Jump +12 from the battery to the 'F' terminal for no more than a minute. Tell us if your ammeter shows the system is charging. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

66 Bird won't charge

John, it is to bad you were not a member of this Forum before you bought those replacement parts. You might not have needed to buy those parts. It might not have been one of those components that is causing your problem. You might want to hold on to those units you took out because they might be good still. If they are, well, you will have back ups. You are getting advise from Dave Dare ~ simplyconnected, who is one of the best technicians on the face of this planet when it comes to working on Fords, or any car for that matter. (Dave is probably blushing now...) Follow his recommendations and you should find the problem..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Well, I guess ol' johnnyB must have his problems figured out. It's been ten days and no response from him.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎