Opinions on a 59 coupe

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on a 59 coupe

Hi all

I wasn’t looking for a coupe but this car looks pretty wild. On the down side it has a modified interior and non-original bigger motor (and external colour?) but it also has disc brakes and air con and a ton of money spent on it. Does anyone know this car? What do you think?

Regards

Mark
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Somehow I don't see a power brake booster. Maybe it has manual brakes.

I see no pics of the bottom, so you need Ray's new check list for used car buyers. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

Funny seat pattern but the car looks good. I woul´d change the steering wheel though.
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

I agree. The car looks good although there are no pictures of the underneath or the trunk. I have Ray's check list ready to go and I have someone in California to check out cars for me. Because I'm doing this from 7,500 miles away it's just a little easier if someone on the forum is familiar with the car.

Already I've noticed that the compliance plate looks like it has non-original rivets so it must have been removed and replaced. The Internet is a wonderful thing. I've learned that the car is listed on the California Classic Cars website located at Santa Rosa for $25,000 or best offer. It is also listed at a dealer in Benicia CA for $19990. The Craigslist advert is the most recent. A little bit of research is always useful.

Mark

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

It would be crazy that someone would spend that sort of money on the paint without fixing any rust issues underneath; but I suppose anything is possible.

It looks like a really nice car. (minus the steering wheel)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

How much money was spent on it is irrelevent. The car is only worth what the market says it is and right now the market for coupes is very soft. Unless the car is a bone stock 300 point trophy winner I wouldn't even consider spending that much money on it. I would make an offer on this one first if you're thinking about spending that kind of money. Highly documented, all original with 16,000 miles. It was featured in the VTCI scoop when it was originally located a number of years ago.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
              Super-Experienced
              • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Griffin
              I agree. The car looks good although there are no pictures of the underneath or the trunk. I have Ray's check list ready to go and I have someone in California to check out cars for me. Because I'm doing this from 7,500 miles away it's just a little easier if someone on the forum is familiar with the car.

Already I've noticed that the compliance plate looks like it has non-original rivets so it must have been removed and replaced. The Internet is a wonderful thing. I've learned that the car is listed on the California Classic Cars website located at Santa Rosa for $25,000 or best offer. It is also listed at a dealer in Benicia CA for $19990. The Craigslist advert is the most recent. A little bit of research is always useful.

Mark
              Hmm, I know a guy in Santa Rosa, he is supposed to be a car guy, he worked or works for a shop in Santa Rosa that is affliated with SoCal somehow.

But in my opinion, the sterring wheel doesn't go with the car, neither does the diamond tuck seat pattern. I personally never liked that style of rim either.

Out here rusty generally isn't as big an issue, but it does still happen.

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

You could pay more than that in NZ dollars (US $20,000 = just under NZ $25,000) for a '59 coupe in NZ - and it would not be in that condition otherwise it would be NZ$35,000 +.

Often they are NZ $20,000 here for one just imported they may have worn suspension, bad brakes, fumey motor, slipping trans, the paint would need some attention, carpet shot etc etc.

Issues I noticed on the one above: cable-tieing the spark-plug leads together, brake-pedal rubber looked pretty worn, front edge of carpets seemed cut off too short (can see the edge under the dash) and the boot (trunk) lid did not sem a good fit - maybe they are all like that?
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Too true Scumdog. The newly imported hardtops here in Oz start at around 15000 and they always need work. If you factor in the cost of getting them here plus a bit of profit for the seller they must have been bought fairly cheaply in the US.

Still, I appreciate everyone's comments on relative values. Perhaps this is why the seller brought the price down from 25k to under 20k so.
                  Mark

Comment

• newbird59
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 27 2011

Mark,

If you are interested in the tbird, I could always look at it for you and take some photos. I live in Napa and will be working Santa Rosa for 4-6 weeks.

David
                    1960 Thunderbird
                    429 TJ
                    C6 Tranny
                    Under Construction

Comment

David

Thanks very much for the offer. Actually, it was just a flight of fancy. The car has been a bit too modified for my tastes. Even though it looks good, I prefer the interior to match the exterior in a classic car. The 50's Tbirds have such a wonderful style I'm surprised why anyone would try to 'improve' them. Anyway, I'm really after a convertible and so I'll keep looking.

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Mark,

Have you seen this '60 convertible. I know it's not on the west coast but it seems to be a nice solid car at a fairly reasonable price.

John
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
                          Super-Experienced
                          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Griffin
                          David

I'm really after a convertible and so I'll keep looking.

Cheers
                          Mark
                          Here is one local, needs just a bit o work, but it is a 430 60 vert....

Comment

• lawyercalif
                            Experienced
                            • May 12 2011

That is an excellent buy for a convertible that looks that good.

Originally posted by jopizz
                            Mark,

Have you seen this '60 convertible. I know it's not on the west coast but it seems to be a nice solid car at a fairly reasonable price.

John

Comment

Thanks guys

The convertible in Boston does look good for the price. I must admit I've been confining my search to the West Coast because the roads aren't salted, I have someone who can check the car out there and it's close to international shipping. I realise that just because a car comes from California or Arizona it still might be a rust bucket and that solid cars can be found anywhere. That said, I'll follow up on the Boston car as it certainly looks good.

Cheers
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎