No announcement yet.

dual master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual master cylinder

was thinking about putting a dual master cylinder on my 60 for the obvious safety reason, and did a search , but couldnt find any info. confident this has been done and covered here. any help such as what master cylinder was used, installation tips, even a part # would be appreciated.
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

I put a dual M/C on my car last winter. My car has drums on all four wheels, and no power booster.

I used a dual M/C from NAPA for a '67 Mustang; drum/drum; no power booster; 1" bore. Works great. Bolts right up.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

This Forum is for the discussion of adding a dual Master Cylinder, Dual 8" Power Booster, and Power Front Disc Brakes to the 1958, 1959 and 1960 Squarebird.

This thread from our forum has lots of brake info both disc and drum. Might take a few days to go through it but should be worth it.

Much of what you want to do will depend on which booster if any you have - good luck finding one with the right bolt pattern for the exterior firewall mounted booster.

A dual master cyl to a system that is still all connected together at one junction block won't help - you'll need to plan on adding a brake line union to seperate the back from the front as they are all joined now at the junction block on the frame. Currently it's a 1 in 3 out junction block. If you ran the 2 front lines to a new junction block then to the master cyl front system port and left the old block in place you could move the brake light switch to one of the vacated front line positions and block off the other with the input being from the master cyl rear brake system port.

Hope that makes sense - good luck on the project - can't blame you for wanting to upgrade a little. Consider the scarebird bracket and discs too.

Eric
      registry 5347

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

oh yeah.... I forgot to mention the few minor brake line changes you would need to make.

Comment

dual master cylinder update.

thanks for the response and all the help. believe this will be next weekends project.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

I forgot to mention, I had to make a "bushing" for the eccentric bolt that attaches the master cylinder push-rod to the brake pedal arm. The eye on the rod was larger than the bolt.

Your under-dash parts may be different than mine, and perhaps wont be an issue.

Comment

master cylinder

thank you, i suppose i should have mentioned also that my 60 bird has the power booster under the dash. would that pose a problem using the mustang cylinder?

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

other than having to mess around with the push-rod, you should be fine

Comment

• DKheld
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Aug 27 2008

Cross-referencing that Mustang master cyl on the Advance Auto web site it appears to be a 2 bolt style and the Tbirds master clys are 4 smaller bolts. May have to drill some holes in the firewall to accommodate bigger studs to mount the master cyl. Probably not a big deal if you are not concerned with originality and those 2 new studs will help when (not if) you change to front discs. How is that mounting done on yours Greg?

I completely rebuilt my whole drum system - everything. It was in top shape and stopped exactly as a 4 drum system should (or could). Wish I had not wasted my time and money on rebuilding the drum system - just something to think on...

I love what you said about this being next weekends project - said the same thing about my front disc conversion - for 48 weekends........ That was years ago though when the brackets were not available and only way to go was changing spindles - much easier these days.

Good luck
                  Eric
                  registry 5347

Last edited by DKheld; April 27, 2011, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 30 2009

The Mustang M/C bolts right up to the bottom two holes in the firewall. The top two holes will still need to have some bolts in them, since they hold the pedal bracket to the firewall under the dash.

see photo here:
                    Last edited by Dakota Boy; April 28, 2011, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎