X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Rear Seat Belts Install

I just got finished installing the rear seat belts.

According to the Ford instructions, BOTH buckles are on the driver side, and BOTH inserts are on the passenger side. Which means that the inside belts are crossed over the middle hump to use them.

Why did they specify crossing the belts? It doesn't feel very good when you wear the belts because one belt comes from about a foot away over the hump.

Anyone else done the rear belts -- like this or otherwise?
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • 6TB1RD
    Experienced
    • Apr 9 2006

Bart:
    I see you Finley got the rear seat out??

I thank what they are trying to say is that the buckle goes in the left hand side of the passenger and the inserts on on the right hand side.

You have to realize that now days the instructions or usually written in Japanese and translated into English by someone how does not speak English therefore we get miss written directions on how to install something..

I have read directions that was only obvious that they were wrong but with no QA checks of directions they can not be caught.

anyway I would put the buckle in the middle and the inserts on the out side just like they are in the newer cars.
    George (Papa of 9)
    1960 H/T :rolleyes:
    Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
    sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

Yes -- I finally got it out.

The instructions are right from the tech section http://www.squarebirds.org/seatbelt_installation.htm

I just wonder if it's for stress factor on the blots and safety or what??

See below photo:

Connect belt assemblies with buckles to inner and outer bolts on driver side. Connect belt assemblies without buckles to inner and outer bolts on passenger side.

Therefore both inner belts will cross each other over center portion of rear seat when used in recommended position.

Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

It does seem like an awkward way to set up the seat belts. It must have been confusing for use for the passengers, even the car was new.

I dont know why the engineers did that, except perhaps they though that need that kind of placement for the girth of the rear passengers. People were less heavy back then, so it is surprising that they designed it that way.
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 23 2005

Confusing is an understatement -- You should have seen my 9 and 12 yer old girls fighting in the back seat as to which end of the seat belt belonged to who

Maybe it's the bolt anchor placement that makes the belts safer this way.

Or, maybe they thought it would be cool if the two rear passengers slammed together during a hard stop.

Anyway, this is what the belts look like according to the Ford (if I may say that) instructions. They are easy for me to change -- now that I can get the rear seat out; thank you.

[IMG]http://www.squarebirds.org/users/bcomo/re****ats.jpg[/IMG]

Bart
          1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

WOW! That is an interesting find.
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• frank58
              Super-Experienced
              • May 28 2006

Hey... if anything else, you gotta admit they sure look cool crossed over the center like that ......... using them might be a different story.

Comment

• bcomo
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 23 2005

I Finally Figured it out!!

After alot of thought I figured out why the rear seat belts are crossed.

If you take another look, you'll see that the crossed belts allow the couple in the back seat lateral side movement toward each other. This is very important for "necking" in the back seat while still being safely buckled up.

I remember that the back seat couple couple were always having more fun than the couple in the front seat.
                Bart
                1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• dgs
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 13 2003

bcomo - That red leather is GORGEOUS! I'm so jealous, mine is all cracked and splitting. Is it original or did you replace it? If so, where'd you get it?

Someday when I find an extra $2,000 laying around I'm going to do mine.
                  DGS (aka salguod)
                  1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                  www.salguod.net

Comment

• bcomo
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 23 2005

Doug:

The leather seats, headliner, and carpet had been redone when I bought the car. I had no information on who did it or where. I did have to take the front seats out and have the bottom foam replaced -- they were sagging. That saved the front seats.

My wish would be a new front end on mine like yours.
                    Bart
                    1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• byersmtrco
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 28 2004

Originally posted by Alexander
                      It does seem like an awkward way to set up the seat belts. It must have been confusing for use for the passengers, even the car was new.

I dont know why the engineers did that, except perhaps they though that need that kind of placement for the girth of the rear passengers. People were less heavy back then, so it is surprising that they designed it that way.
                      Ba ha ha !!! Less drive thru fast (junk) food places . . .
                      My favorite;
                      "I'll have a double whopper w/cheese, fries and a DIET coke"

Comment

• tarps3
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jul 21 2003

[QUOTE="I'll have a double whopper w/cheese, fries and a DIET coke"[/QUOTE]

Off the subject but...
                        Sometimes people order diet drinks because they aren't supposed to have sugar intake. You know, like diabetics.
                        Granted, ordering a double whopper isn't typically on a diabetic menu either, but the effects of that can be more easily controlled with insulin than a "real" coke loaded with sugar.
                        Speaking from experience
                        Casey

Comment

• 6TB1RD
                          Experienced
                          • Apr 9 2006

Originally posted by tarps3
                          Off the subject but...
                          Sometimes people order diet drinks because they aren't supposed to have sugar intake. You know, like diabetics.
                          Granted, ordering a double whopper isn't typically on a diabetic menu either, but the effects of that can be more easily controlled with insulin than a "real" coke loaded with sugar.
                          Speaking from experience
                          Casey:
                          I can attest to that, everyone in my family are diabetic except for me, and the Dr. put me on a strict diet to prevent the invariable chance of becoming one. Now A days I'm not really concerned about it (at lest as bad as my wife is. ) but I have gotten to the point where I can not drink the so called real stuff. the fake stuff tasts a whole lot better, and I don't get the sugar rush as with the real thing
                          George (Papa of 9)
                          1960 H/T :rolleyes:
                          Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
                          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡