Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eastwildlife
    • May 20 2014

'66 390 p/steer pump adjustment, hits inner fender

Hello all. Reassembling my non a/c '66 390 after 8 months of winter and being too busy. Heads and intake went back on this aft, alt and brackets on pass side fine. Installing p/s pump, I noticed that when the front bracket is installed to the water pump, and upper pivot bolt that the pump and bracket share, the left side of pump hits the bolt/stud for the front bumper bracket. Noticed some pretty good scaring on the pump body and it looks like at max I'd have 1/4 inch of adjustment?
    Motor mounts look good, engine sits level. I suspect this is not a '66 motor as C8 castings were on the heads, but w/pump bolt locations matched old to new, anyone have any ideas? Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

With most retrofits, sometimes brackets need to be changed, somewhat.

One of my cars had the P/S bracket hitting the battery tray. The solution was to cut a 'pie-shaped' piece out and weld the steel bracket together again. Yours might need something similar. After painting, you'd never know it's welded.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm thinking that you may have the wrong pump and/or mounting bracket. The pump design was changed in 1967 so if you have a later motor you may have the later pump also. This is the pump you should have. It was only used in 65 & 66.

John
      Attached Files
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• eastwildlife
        • May 20 2014

Thanks for the replies. Pondered modifying the bracket, but with the big fat pump body which has a small friction fit dipstick and tube, at most I'd have 1/2 inch max side to side movement before hitting the fuel pump or the bumper bracket bolts. In your reply John, you show a pump that is way different than mine. I've worked on a lot of Fords but I've not seen one in that style. I thought about switching to a Saginaw pump but it is just too "fat" as well. I'll have to check casting numbers on the aluminum pump bracket and try and determine if I only need the correct pump or have to locate the brackets as well. I have to admit I did check out 2 other 390's that I've stashed away and neither had any brackets or pumps on them. Thanks for your help guys. Dan

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'66 390 p/steer pump adjustment, hits inner fender

I did some research for you tonight on '66 390 power steering pumps. First of all, the Bird Nest catalog shows the power steering pump for a '66 390 with the original 1 3/4" filler tube to be a Model 6093. They also list a power steering pump with the small filler tube as a Model 6092. They both list for $125 plus a $100 core deposit. Rock Auto, which is a member of this Forum, shows the same power steering pump that John showed you and the Model 206092 for $41.79 + $50 core charge. They do not show a Model 6093 listed, but they do show a Model 206305 for $53.79 + $45 core charge. This model says it has the original OE style reservoir. Keep in mind that Rock Auto also gives their fellow Squarebirds.org Forum members a discount. You will find it in the Advertisements Forum. I hope this will help you. Here is the link to Rock Auto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7380

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• eastwildlife
            • May 20 2014

Appreciate the numbers and time researching the pumps. 15 years ago I parted out a 65 bird from a buddy's salvage yard. No engine or trans, but it had factory a/c and tinted windows, so I pulled the glass, the dash, even the remains of the cruise control servo's under the hood. Believe me I'm an optimist but this one was so far gone it was good for parts only. Last thing I pulled before she went back to the yard was the rear diff and springs. So I dived into the shed, moved a lot of packrat stuff, sound familiar?, and found the p/steer pump, with dipstick, and two cast iron brackets all in one piece. Even has the idler wheel for the a/c belt. I noticed when mounting the correct one, plenty of room side to side, gas line now attaches to pump with no interference, but instead of the pressure line kicked toward the left inner fender, it routes the to inside of the valve cover. Lines attach just fine, even has the tin "clamp" that secures the line to the filler neck. All in all I'm happy. Anyone need a pump and brackets for a '68? lol. Now to figure out the carb linkage.
            Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Dan

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎