No announcement yet.

clean white walls

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

clean white walls

Does anyone have a tried and true method of getting white walls clean? I've tries SOS pads, Westley's Bleach White and even some degreaser and nothing seems to work. It almost looks like a stain in the rubber. Do they still sell white tire paint?? Maybe I just dated myself.
    Thanks.
    Joe
  • 6TB1RD
    Experienced
    • Apr 9 2006

RWL Pencil

Joe:
    The SOS pad should of worked it always have in the past for me.

They do still make the paint (well sort of) it comes in a pencil now,

my local auto parts store has it.

Depending on how old the counter guy is you might want to ask for raised white lettering paint some of these kids that work there don't have a clue about car parts.

Me and my son went to find a resister wire for the coil on his '70 Continental the first guy had never herd of well lets be nice and say 1970.

We went to another place and he tried to sell us a fusible link ? not even close.

We later found out that his ignition switch was bad.

any way RWL pencil.

Have a great day.
    George (Papa of 9)
    1960 H/T :rolleyes:
    Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
    sigpic

Comment

• tbirdave
      Apprentice
      • Jun 12 2006

White walls

get the white wall cleaner from Coker tire. It works great and is only about $5 a bottle.

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

I used one of those Mr Clean bar things with some cleaner called Awwsome that you buy at the dollar store, I find that stuff to work very very well and use it for alot ot stuff.

But my tires are only at most three weeks old, so I might not be a good example. I was trying to get a rub mark off the wall from the skirt hitting it. Did work...

Comment

What works for me, of course depending on the condition is : for grease/grime: a scrub brush/3M pad and Cascade dishwasher soap. if they're older, DON"T USE STEEL WOOL. it leaves metal in the cracks and then rusts. Use a 3M pad. If the white is discolored, use a pad and Oxyclean laundry booster. It cleans all organics. _LEON

Comment

I don't know how old the tires are. The gentleman I got the Bird from had it for 10 years and put almost 1000 miles on it and he bought the tires. It looks like old brown/gray stain that is in the whitewall.
            All the suggestions were good and I'm going to give some of them a try.
            Thanks for all the input.
            Joe

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

Comet !!!!!!

Comment

John, I have to tell you, for a minute you had me really confused. I couldn't figure out what a Mercury had to do with cleaning tires. I finally got it, tried it, same results. I think it's a quest for tire paint. It seems like it's actually in the rubber.
                Thanks to all.
                Joe

Comment

• tarps3
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jul 21 2003

Castrol Super Clean. undiluted
                  Get a lot of rags and don't be shy about using them.

DO NOT get the Super Clean on paint and be sure to wear gloves.
                  powerful stuff.
                  Casey

Comment

• saverio
                    Experienced
                    • Mar 14 2005

whitewall cleaner

Originally posted by joe1946
                    Does anyone have a tried and true method of getting white walls clean? I've tries SOS pads, Westley's Bleach White and even some degreaser and nothing seems to work. It almost looks like a stain in the rubber. Do they still sell white tire paint?? Maybe I just dated myself.
                    Thanks.
                    Joe
                    I used 409 spray and a brush-worked for me!
                    sal
                    Sal III

60 T BD

Thunderbird Registry # 33126 - VTCI # 11138- CTCI #02521

Comment

hey casey how much caustic soda is in that stuff? I would say that should work. If not try hot water with it but WATCH YOURSELF. If that don't work I have a can of that paint and it will make your white walls look chalky. You would have paint them from now on. About once a month and they still wouldn't look right. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• scumdog
                        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

A few months ago I bought a pair of budget whitewall tyres when one of the original ones that were on the car in '05 developed a 'bump' on the tread.

Brand-name whitewalls cost $400+ each here in NZ and my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time so I bought a pair of budget brand whitewalls.

They seem OK however there seems to be a brown colour leaching onto the whitewall part of the tyre, it may be from the underlying black rubber.

I tried paint cutting-compound, Prepsol, tyre-dressing and kerosene etc but nothign seemed to work well or if it did it was a lot of hard scrubbing.

Then one day I tried old-fashioned Brasso and amazingly it worked well!

The trick was to rub the area needing cleaned witha clean section of rag soaked in Brasso - then immediately rub the area dry before the Brasso dried.
                        It didn't make the whitewall a gleaming pure white but it sure as **** looked a HEAP better.
                        Any theories why Brasso worked? Has it got ammonia in it? (It smelled like it).
                        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• bird 60
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Mar 18 2009

Check out on the computer, "DELBOY'S GARAGE WHITEWALL TYRES", very interesting.
                          What I've been using here in OZ is a product called "JIFF" with a scrubbing brush & it works very well.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

whitewalls

sos pads sandpaper

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍