No announcement yet.

MSD Coil

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSD Coil

I wanted to install an MSD Blaster2 coil but the warning on the packages says that if you are going to use it with a stock point system then you need to install a ballast resistor. A friend told me that there should already be a resistor in the stock system? Is this true or should I purchase the resistor?
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: MSD Coil

All point systems have either a ballast resistor or a resistance wire to cut the voltage to the points and coil to 6 to 9 volts. Some coils are designed to run at the full 12 volts. Points cannot be run at the full 12 volts - their life would be very short. Never run a coil that needs a ballast (some require a specific ballast) without one. The engine may run great in your garage and for the first few miles , but it will leave you stranded, because the coil will overheat and burn out. I was once stranded at midnight on the New Jersey Turnpike in 10 degree Fahrenheit weather, because a mechanic bypassed the ballast, assuring me that I don't need it. I got a lot farther because the weather was so cold. It was fun getting towed and then changing the coil in 10 degree weather.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

RE: MSD Coil

Makes sense, thanks I just wasnt sure if this particular coil would fry my points or not but ill install the resistor just in case. Cant argue with a FREE blaster 2 coil mine as well try it out right?

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎