X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim
    • Sep 2 2010

Matching Numbers

Hello everyone,

This is my first post; and I am certainly a novice in the restoration of any car. So naturally I will begin my restoration endeavors with a 1959 430 Convertible. I was wondering where I can find the numbers on the engine block to match with the VIN.

WHAT A TERRIFIC WEB SITE !!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Jim
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Jim get ready for a ride in the restoration of your classic, as it will be both fun and confusing with these Thunderbirds. On the main page there is a black header bar ( near top ) that has various buttons stated. Go to the SEARCH button, push and a screen will pop up to type in the search request. In your case and to help answer your question, type in " engine block numbers " then hit the go button. You will then see the original thread and posts from our members. Hope this helps and this "search" area can be used for other questions as well. Remember most of the people on this site have either done it, asked it and eventually did it with the help of other members. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Jim
      • Sep 2 2010

Thanks Dan

Thanks Dan.

I appreciate the information.

Jim

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

From a previous thread, I found this. "Check for casting numbers on the heads." and this.

"the tell-tale "352" casting number usually found on the V-8s of these years...on the block near the coil"

But these were for the 352 engine. You might check through all the threads in the 430MEL Forum and see what you can find there also. Here is a picture that I also found.
        Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• GTE427
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 9 2007

Jim,
          there are no matching numbers between the block and vin on these TBirds or Fords of this era. The most you'll find are casting number for the part/engineering numbers, date codes and asembled date code. If the part numbers are correct and the date codes are just prior to the cars date code on the data plate, then the engine is most likely original. There is not a way to have a sure match with these cars.
          Ken
          1959 J Convertible
          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Jim
            • Sep 2 2010

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Comment

• Jim
              • Sep 2 2010

Matching Numbers

Originally posted by GTE427
              Jim,
              there are no matching numbers between the block and vin on these TBirds or Fords of this era. The most you'll find are casting number for the part/engineering numbers, date codes and asembled date code. If the part numbers are correct and the date codes are just prior to the cars date code on the data plate, then the engine is most likely original. There is not a way to have a sure match with these cars.

Thanks for the responses, Ken and Ray, regarding the matching numbers question. I was thinking about it
              this weekend and I was wondering how or why the car
              manufacturer would stamp in a vin number on the engine.
              It makes alot of sense to just check out the stamped dates and part numbers to figure if the engine was an original engine. I guess I was just a little confused with the matching numbers concept. So then with my restoration when seeking new parts I should try to obtain parts with the original part numbers.

Thanks for clearing up this matching numbers question for me.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎