Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assembly worker contacted on last Thunderbird!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YellowRose
    So there ya go, Folks! That is my story and I am sticking to it!
    Ray, WOW!, hats off to both you and Greg. You guys are like the best bird dogs ever! Somehow Ray, you really do need to digest all of this information, re-format it and write yourself a book on this story, co-author with Greg, publish it and offer it for sale on the merchandise link to this forum. I will be looking forward to your literary prowess.

Comment

• trim code 76
      Experienced
      • Aug 3 2006

well folks, this has been the most I have learned about cars in a long , long time. I will send to Ray the pics of the car when it is done being painted. Unfortunately I am now VERY nervious to drive the car!! Only back roads for sure now and limited miles. I still have one more person to call from the plant so it may not be quite over yet. Again thanks all, how do we top this....... Ok who has the first one?????? Now that would be totally cool!!
      Greg (actually have a break at work!!)

Comment

• trim code 76
        Experienced
        • Aug 3 2006

Mike,
        Your black 59 bird is beautiful!!!!!!!
        Greg

Comment

• Coral
          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Itz Mz. Watson if you please....or Batwoman, whichever will do, Ray happens to know me by both, LOL

Since this thread started, and I had some pages copied out of library book (40yrs of thunder) and just happened to capture 2 of the 3 pages on Gene's article that was reproduced there-in, I went looking for peoples names and numbers, email info.
          I gave the phone numbers of the people that I couldn't find e-addies on to Ray since he is a gentleman among the highest elite (also has a great calling plan) and if anyone has spoken with him knows he is a trustworthy, warm hearted soul....someone, anyone... a person could talk to out of the clear blue sky, for hours on end!

I have suggested a book to Ray already, twice; the name:
          Thunderbirds Greatest Hits

Ray's BRILLIANT idea to contact the writer at the newspaper was indeed the straw that broke the camel's back on holding out on secrets for us...I know I am a recent member, however I do feel the great sense of open arms, and camaraderie that one doesn't find on just ANY forum, but when folks are handing out badges for detective work, just want my name added to the 'B' list of the dawgs....LOL

Pity I can't get my spell check to work on IE while using the smilies program, so will have to edit this later in case the fingers were faster than the brain -
          Last edited by Coral; May 14, 2009, 10:17 PM. Reason: using spell check....lol

Comment

• fomoco59
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 10 2005

Originally posted by trim code 76
            Mike,
            Your black 59 bird is beautiful!!!!!!!
            Greg
            Thanks! I think it was the LAST 59 built ! ...(just kidding)
            sigpic
            Mike Lemmon
            '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Please don't get me started on the last '59 or the last '58 built! Lol... I am still gathering information on how they did things on the line! I have another person to talk with shortly about that! I also hope to make contact with someone in the Budd Body Company who is still breathing and can shed some light on how they built the shells and panels for our Birds, and the SS ones!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Coral
                Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Oh come on Ray.... where's your sense of adventure?

Comment

• Rockin Kev
                  Experienced
                  • Oct 31 2002

last Squarebird

Greg,
                  Some extra info on the Golde cars would be nice to know, but as i have DRIVEN the last Squarebird Built i feel very warm inside.

So just confirmation that the Golde cars had there own fitting line would be nice to know.

Did i say you lucky sod!! i will be reminding you on quite a regular basis now but the next time i drive your car mate make sure i am not driving to Vancouver BC for there export port, with a nice little steel container with my name on it bound for the UK.

Would i????...lol

Kev.

Comment

• trim code 76
                    Experienced
                    • Aug 3 2006

First regarding Rockin Kev..............A word to the wise "NEVER TRUST THE BRITISH!!!!!!" LOL (so as nobody is affended, Kevin and myself are very good friends in case you could not tell!) Ok, I just went up to see the car after being painted. All I can say again is WOW! A fantastic job of recreating a factory paint job!! the attention to detail in recreating the factory look of correct type of "runs and folds" in the paint in the door jambs and under the trunk and hood. He recreated them where they were before and made them look just right. A VERY talented man. It still needs to be rubbed out. He said painting old school enamel without clear coat (single stage ) is VERY HARD IN METALIC. There is no room for errors! I sent the pics to Ray so hopefully they will be on the website soon, that is if we can get Ray to actually do something on this site!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!! I just got done talking to the lady who did the imfamous newspaper article and she is going to do a taped interview of a conversation with the guy we talked about on the assembly line!!!!! It will be posted!!!!! Everybody get ready to copy that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excited today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Greg
                    Ray, I just recieved word that there are now ten car clubs that want you to investigate who has the last car made on 13 different makes. I will send you the list shortly. Hello? ......Ray.....are you there?.......Ray?........................................... ................................ somebody call 911!!!LOL

Comment

• Coral
                      Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Just the Last ones?

pish....LOL

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Just so ya'll know, I am traveling this weekend into next. Greg, I might not be able to post your pix until I get back, but I will.. Kev, in answer to your questions regarding Golde Tops, here is what Bob had to say about them.. I do not know at which stage the cars went through water testing. I gather after they had come off the line, and they went though road testing also..

Ray, As I remember all golde tops came down the line with the rest of the birds,as they were all run through the water test booth. The ones that leaked were set aside for water test repair in a separate area. Golde tops were invented in Germany and later became American Sunroof and owner was Heinz Prector. He later committed suicide. American Sunroof was in a separate factory across the street. Employees would drive the cars over to them. Later we did the sunroofs in our own plant. The unit was made by a company called Webasco near Flint mi. and sent to our plant for installation.--BOB

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Rockin Kev
                          Experienced
                          • Oct 31 2002

time is a vertue

Originally posted by trim code 76
                          First regarding Rockin Kev..............A word to the wise "NEVER TRUST THE BRITISH!!!!!!" LOL (so as nobody is affended, Kevin and myself are very good friends in case you could not tell!) Ok, I just went up to see the car after being painted. All I can say again is WOW! A fantastic job of recreating a factory paint job!! the attention to detail in recreating the factory look of correct type of "runs and folds" in the paint in the door jambs and under the trunk and hood. He recreated them where they were before and made them look just right. A VERY talented man. It still needs to be rubbed out. He said painting old school enamel without clear coat (single stage ) is VERY HARD IN METALIC. There is no room for errors! I sent the pics to Ray so hopefully they will be on the website soon, that is if we can get Ray to actually do something on this site!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!! I just got done talking to the lady who did the imfamous newspaper article and she is going to do a taped interview of a conversation with the guy we talked about on the assembly line!!!!! It will be posted!!!!! Everybody get ready to copy that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excited today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Greg
                          Ray, I just recieved word that there are now ten car clubs that want you to investigate who has the last car made on 13 different makes. I will send you the list shortly. Hello? ......Ray.....are you there?.......Ray?........................................... ................................ somebody call 911!!!LOL
                          Never trust the British???.. i remember a certain gentleman taking Rachel and myself to a nice quite restaurant in up sate Washington a place called Port Townsend, a funky Fish Restaurant with a twist.
                          Word to the wise Never go to a place with someone with strange dress sense!!!!..so do i post pictures?...hmmm i think not!..lol 2010 Mr Prince cannot come quick enough for me and OUR road trip in the UK.
                          Kev

Comment

• frank58
                            Super-Experienced
                            • May 28 2006

I wish Alexander was here for this history making info...........
                            Great work guys.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Frank58 yes Alexander would have been extremely proud about two (2) things. One (1) that this site has grown tremendously in size both daily / weekly usage and member count and two (2) the very talented and dedicated members that have kept this site and his legacy alive.I am sure he is smiling that Yellowrose and others have taken the lead.
                              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                              Thunderbird Registry
                              58HT #33317
                              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• trim code 76
                                Experienced
                                • Aug 3 2006

dan,
                                I could not have put it better myself! Well done!
                                Greg. T minus 4 days until the bird is back in her "cage"!!
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎