Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seeker2736
    • May 20 2014

power window issues on 65

I been working on the power windows since some times they work and other times nothing. I replaced the safety relay and the passenger window opened and now will not go back up. I did all the test per the shop manual part 17-3. All the switches are getting power. The only window that is working is the rear passenger side as far as the motor is running when I press the switch but window does not go up or down. I replaced the switch on the front passenger side. any ideas on how to get the window up. Thanks in advance
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You say that the switch is getting power but did you verify that the motor is getting power by unplugging it and testing the socket to see if you have power there. If you do then the motor is most likely defective. I've had numerous motors that only worked in one direction. Sometimes replacing the brushes or springs will fix it. Sometimes it's more serious. If you hear the motor running but the window does not move then the gear is broke. That's very common. Replacement gears are available.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• seeker2736
      • May 20 2014

window issues

I haven't test the motors yet plan on doing that this weekend. will let you know what I find. thanks for the reply

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

The Red and Yellow wires give the motor direction. Try switching them just to test it.
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• seeker2736
          • May 20 2014

update

took off the roller assembly and got the window up. When put power to the window that was unattached the bracket assembly
          moved up and down. Ordered new rollers.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Make sure you check the window channels. The old weatherstripping has a tendency to come loose and bunch up causing the window to get stuck.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Ralph, if these motors are in original condition, you should open them and clean the insides.

Do a search on window motors and check the TRL. This is important because you will break fragile pieces if you don't do it right.

If you clean them correctly, these motors will be strong and work like new again. They never get used enough to wear brushes down but greasy carbon flies around and builds inside causing poor electrical contact. Alcohol will clean them nicely. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• seeker2736
                • May 20 2014

update

Thanks Dave.

Heard it has been cold in my former home state. I took off the passenger
                window motor today and cleaned it up. the 65 motor is a little different then the 60 motor on the Technical Resource. I have taken some pictures to make sure I assembly it back correctly.
                I need to know how to attach the pictures. I will be working on the driver side next week after I re install the passenger side.

I plan on spraying the motor with flex seal when done since this is like the rubber material that was on the motor when I removed it.

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

To post pictures just go down to "manage attachments", then "browse". Then go to the folder on your computer where your pictures are and click on the picture you want to post. Just make sure it is 800x600 resolution and 146KB or less.

John

Comment

• seeker2736
                    • May 20 2014

pictures

Thanks
                    I will post pictures once I have completed the project.

Comment

• seeker2736
                      • May 20 2014

update to window motor replacement

I will describe a step by step approach to the power window motor replacement on my 65.

1. I used a piece of wood to prop up the window. it was placed on the lock side of window channel.

2. removed rollers by removing pins. There are three on each side.

3. removed the four bolts that attached the regulator to the door.

4. removed bracket that attached motor to door.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• seeker2736
                        • May 20 2014

more pictures

After cleaning the motor it still was running slow so I bit the bullet and bought new motors. Once installed windows work great. Had one minor problem. When I cleaned the switches I put the drivers side switch in reverse so up was down and down was up. I reversed the switch and all works wonderful.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎