This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Apprentice

Carolina Tee Bird is on a distinguished road
Default flex fan recommendation

Comments on overheating indicate a flex fan blade is better for moving more air. Will try a 7 blade flex fan blade. looks like a 17" would fit. There are several to choose from.Summit or ebay. I want to move as much air as possible at idle. Anyone have a recommendation. Currently have a 16" 6 blade hard blade. I noticed in previous post a diagram showing space between fan blade and radiator should be 1". my measurement is 2 inches. Is there a spacer to move the blade forward? Thanks as always
Old 07-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

I used an 18 inch flex fan off a '72 Tbird with a 400ci engine.

Fan part # is D2VY8600A

I needed a shorter spacer since I was changing pulleys to add A/C. Found what I needed from Flex-a-lite. I would be they will have the longer one you need (don't forget to get longer bolts).

Order it by the hub and pilot size then the length. Pilot is .625 - think the water pump hub is also .625? but hopefully you have something you can measure it with.

I needed a 1 inch hub to .625 pilot 1 inch length spacer and flex-a-lite had it.

Here was a test fit of the flex fan before I painted it white.

Pic of the OEM 4 blade non A/C fan ,then the OEM 5 blade fan for A/C and finally the 7 blade Ford Flex fan.

Lots less fan noise on the interstate and pulls a bunch of air at idle.

Eric
Old 07-13-2018, 09:58 AM
Apprentice

Carolina Tee Bird is on a distinguished road

Great to hear, thanks so much for this response, most helpful!!!
Old 07-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

I run a 7-blade flex (Hayden I believe 18")
with a shroud. It will run out of gas before it will
over heat
Old 07-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by byersmtrco View Post
I run a 7-blade flex (Hayden I believe 18")
with a shroud. It will run out of gas before it will
over heat
Oh . . . I have a 4 row core
Old 07-13-2018, 03:10 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

I bought an 18" Flexolite, comes in colours, you'll also need a spacer, I think mine is 1.5 inches but take a measurement. BUT it really didn't do much for getting hot at idle. I added a 160 degree thermostat, that helped but the biggest help I got was adding the 2 piece shroud off a 61-63 t-bird. Made all the difference, I've sat in traffic for 3/4 of an hour and kept the motor running, never went above the M on the gauge.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-13-2018, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Tee Bird View Post
Comments on overheating indicate a flex fan blade is better for moving more air. Will try a 7 blade flex fan blade. looks like a 17" would fit. There are several to choose from.Summit or ebay. I want to move as much air as possible at idle. Anyone have a recommendation. Currently have a 16" 6 blade hard blade. I noticed in previous post a diagram showing space between fan blade and radiator should be 1". my measurement is 2 inches. Is there a spacer to move the blade forward? Thanks as always
The shroud makes a HUGE difference. !!!!!!!
It would be REALLY cool to find a metal shroud off a full size Ford or Merc. It would look more orig AND fit better. There's about a 1" gap on the aftermarket fiberglass re-pop.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by byersmtrco View Post
The shroud makes a HUGE difference. !!!!!!!
It would be REALLY cool to find a metal shroud off a full size Ford or Merc. It would look more orig AND fit better. There's about a 1" gap on the aftermarket fiberglass re-pop.
I bought a 2 piece original, there's another piece covers the top that I didn't get but when all 3 are on it looks stock, radiators didn't change.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default flex fan recommendation

My shroud on Rose is a metal one off a Bulletbird and it, along with a 6 bladed flex fan, works great. It also helps if your radiator and thermostat is operating up to snuff... You can find these Bulletbird shrouds on eBay still, at times. Also, you can get the plastic ones from the Tbird Parts Stores. I know that Lance at Tbirds Southwest has or had them.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message or (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I pretty much followed the same path as Scott, however I got lazy and spent the big bucks for the aftermarket fan shroud. I installed a Flex A Lite 2018 (18") fan, 6 blade, with appropriate spacers so the fan is set up according to the recommendations that are shown in DKhelds post. http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=22919
The 18" fan had adequate clearance to the shroud, although it it a bit tighter than the 1" recommendation.
As for the spacers, here is a heads up. As I remember, the spacer needs to have a 1" register to the water pump and then goes to 5/8" register to the fan. If you need a second spacer, which I did, it needs to have a 5/8" register on both ends. I had to get longer bolts, so off to the hardware store for some Grade 8 bolts.
On a hot day with the AC on, the temp will still climb to the top of the M in stop and go traffic or idle, but comes right back down when I get moving.
Nyles