• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newbird59
    Experienced
    • Dec 27 2011

Defrost Vents

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to install my dash but I have a question about how to install the vents. The person that owned the car before used duct tape to secure the part that fits into the lower chamber. What is the normal procedure for this? Also, does anyone sell new ones? These are getting old and cracking :/

Thanks guys!

David
    1960 Thunderbird
    429 TJ
    C6 Tranny
    Under Construction
  • tbrd60
    Apprentice
    • Nov 3 2006

I used duct tape.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Defrost Vents

Check with Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here. Send him a Private Message (PM), or he might see this and respond to it. The Bird Nest, The Bird House, John Draxler of Thunderbird Ranch. The contact information for the Tbird parts houses are found in the Advertisements Forum.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• newbird59
        Experienced
        • Dec 27 2011

Thanks! I looked at Birds Nest and they have new reproduction ones but they are 95 bucks :/ that's a little steep. I think I'll fiberglass the ones I have currently.

And I'll use gorilla tape if the normal procedure is to use tape

Thanks!!!

David
        1960 Thunderbird
        429 TJ
        C6 Tranny
        Under Construction

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Made one of mine out of metal and covered the other original one. Used Dynamat inside and out on both(the A/C duct).

You might be able to cover your defrost vents with Dynamat which should extend the life of the old ones.

You can see the edge of the defrost vents on each side of the A/C vent.

Eric

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

The reproduction fiberglass/plastic defrost vent pieces only work on the late 59 and 60 cars.

If you have a early 59 or 58, then you will have to do like I did and find some original vent pieces that are still in decent shape. I connected mine to the plenum with duct tape.

Go to "My '58" in the Our Rides section if you want to see some pics of how the early squares' defrost vents are arranged.
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• partsetal
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 4 2005

These defroster ducts were originally attached to the heater box with pieces of thin rubber tube that soon hardened and cracked. Rubber tape is what I use, and duct tape works also. The defroster ducts I've removed are brittle and separated from the mounting brackets. Other than replacing them with the reproductions, I've overlaid them with fibreglass mat which gives them strength and allows for remounting or strengthening the bracket attachments
              Carl.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎