332 water pump pulley!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

332 water pump pulley!

Hello Everyone,
    my name is bobby and I have a 1959 ford galaxie.
    I recently devoloped a lung problem and cant be in hot
    humid temp. so my wife bought me a vintage aire kit for
    my car so I could start using it again.
    My car is all original with 332 engine the kit we bought was
    soposed to have all the parts needed but I cant find a water
    pump pulley to make it work. I have looked everywhere.
    the main problem is it needs to be 3.44 inches in depth to
    align with crankshaft on bottom. any advice on what to do
    I would Appreciate is so very much I just want to drive my car again bobby
    Last edited by Guest; January 22, 2013, 07:32 PM. Reason: mis worded
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It looks like you will have to find one that fits a 58 or 59 full size Ford with a 332/352. A Thunderbird pulley is a different size and part number. If someone here can't help you try Love Fords or one of the other Galaxie sites.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Welcome to Squarebirds.org, Bobby. I'm trying to understand your request.
      Are you going from a double-sheave to a triple-sheave pulley? You didn't mention the diameter you need, either.

Did you try Marche pulleys?

Don't stop looking because Chevy used many of the same pulleys. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Hey Dave!

Just cruising thru and read this. I am away from the house and don't have access to the 49/59 MPC you so graciously supplied.

The Basic PN is 8509 if anyone can look it up and give him the Service PN. It should make for an easier search...

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I see that in the part numbers but he has a custom setup. The compressor will be different and so will the mounting. I'm trying to figure whether he is going to a three-sheave pulley. If so, the only consideration is the existing belt centers.

Here's the MPC listing for Ford Cars w/3-sheave pulleys:
          Attached Files

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

I was thinking just the compressor and mounting bracket would be updated (SANDEN) but the crank and WP pulley be OEM.

If it wasn't OEM, I would think the kit manufacturer would offer the pulley.

Maybe he can fill us in.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

I'm sure Classic Air supplies Sanden compressors but I have yet to see them supply a pulley. Bobby may not need a sheave that goes to the crank. Simply run a belt off the empty top pulley and add adjustment.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
                Super-Experienced
                • Aug 27 2008

I think you're right Dave - like the Tbird 352 A/C setup (which has been a royal pain to get figured out). Pic's would definitely help.

So here's a Galaxie 332 or 352 with factory A/C. The belt would run from the compressor (missing) around 2 idler pulleys (one missing) and down to the crank. Notice no adjustment slots on the compressor bracket so belt adjustment is done by moving the offset idler pulley.

But on the factory Tbird 352 the compressor holes are slotted to move the compressor and adjust the belt - maybe that's the way the Vintage kit would work? The Tbird only has a belt from the water pump to the compressor. The water pump is driven by 2 other belts going to the crank and genny - but not to the A/C compressor.

Vintage Air catalog didn't show a Surefit system for the Galaxie so I guess you have a generic system.
                Maybe what you need is like Dave mentioned and what is on the Tbird. It's a COAE-8509-A pulley for the water pump. If you do use this pulley you will probably have to get a new spacer for the fan. The end of the pulley is bigger than the end of the waterpump. I bought my spacer from Sumit but it's made by flex fan.

Those pulleys are a bit hard to find and usually expensive - Carl Heller(partsetal) here on the forum might have a good used one. If you're close to Charlotte NC I could loan you mine and you can see if it works - otherwise I can get some measurements off my pulley. Just finished figuring out how the belts will work and still use my P/S pump on my car - had to use a 63 Galaxie P/S dished pulley. I'm thinking the aftermarket system on the Galaxie would be the same as the factory system on the Tbird - just a guess though.

This is an aftermarket A/C bracket on my car but at least it shows what the water pump pulley looks like.

Eric

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Dec 23 2008

I may have an extra pulley that is against the fan spacer in the second picture posted by DKheld. I am only going from memory and will be home to measue and take pictures in 2 weeks. If any one is interested in the measurements let me know and I will gladly check and post. J

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by bobby59galaxie

my name is bobby and I have a 1959 ford galaxie.
                    I recently devoloped a lung problem and cant be in hot
                    humid temp. so my wife bought me a vintage aire kit for
                    my car so I could start using it again.

My car is all original with 332 engine the kit we bought was
                    soposed to have all the parts needed but I cant find a water
                    pump pulley to make it work. I have looked everywhere.
                    the main problem is it needs to be 3.44 inches in depth to
                    align with crankshaft on bottom. any advice on what to do

I would Appreciate is so very much I just want to drive my car again bobby
                    Can you post what kit(s) you bought and just what Vintage Air promised? I see no complete kit offered. You must piece together a complete install. They do offer complete changeovers for some GM cars.

Similiar system here- http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo..._31000009.html

Nothing 59 FORD specific.

Their compressor mounting bracket- http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...et-p-3551.html

I am thinking you will have to find the original FEAD (Front Engine Accessory Drive) from an OEM AC 59 FORD, unless you can adapt the kit listed below-

Here is a SANDEN compressor mounting kit.

A buddy of mine bought a kit but it was only the evaporator and case for inside the car (57 FORD). The engine is a 4.6L LINC 32V so nothing else is needed other than hoses.
                    Last edited by Guest; April 17, 2013, 04:11 PM. Reason: ADD INFO

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by DKheld

I think you're right Dave - like the Tbird 352 A/C setup (which has been a royal pain to get figured out). Pic's would definitely help.

So here's a Galaxie 332 or 352 with factory A/C. The belt would run from the compressor (missing) around 2 idler pulleys (one missing) and down to the crank. Notice no adjustment slots on the compressor bracket so belt adjustment is done by moving the offset idler pulley.

Eric
                      Eric,

Is the engine shown (59 FORD FE) yours? It has some later upgrades, an ALT adj bracket and a THOMPSON PS pump.

The idler pulleys, are they both fixed or is one adjustable?

Usually, on these older setups, the drive belt(s) was routed as you described as the AC belt had to be tensioned very tightly and this routing would keep side pressure off the WP bearing.

Is your BIRD install complete?
                      Last edited by Guest; April 17, 2013, 04:14 PM. Reason: ASK ANOTHER QUESTION

Comment

• KULTULZ

This may help someone doing these conversions-

V-belt pulley kits and individual pulleys for the Ford FE 390, 427 and 428 engines. Water pump, crankshaft and alternator pulley. Backed by our world class customer support team.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by KULTULZ

Is the engine shown (59 FORD FE) yours? It has some later upgrades, an ALT adj bracket and a THOMPSON PS pump.

The idler pulleys, are they both fixed or is one adjustable?

Usually, on these older setups, the drive belt(s) was routed as you described as the AC belt had to be tensioned very tightly and this routing would keep side pressure off the WP bearing.
                          The more I look @ the photo, I believe the engine is a 65/ .

It even has a thermostat housing in lieu of a surge tank and notice the vacuum advance canister.

Comment

• DKheld
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Aug 27 2008

Gary - sorry - somehow I missed the reply.

No - not mine - snagged from the web and just listed the info given about the pic.

I have a that A/C bracket - it's the first one I bought and was going to use until I realized it interfered with the expansion tank. When I bought the bracket it only came with one idler pulley which is adjustable. It's hard to tell from that pic but the bolt comes in from the back into the idler pulley housing so I believe they are both adjustable. You're probably right on the year - I see that it also has a high mount Alternator.

DANG IT - No - my install isn't done yet but thanks for asking.

Doing an alternator conversion at the same time. Was hoping to have a simple parts list put together for the group for an easy bolt on Alternator conversion but that hasn't worked out. The adjustable bracket I bought works great for mounting but doesn't allow enough room for adjustment (with the original adjusting bracket). Tried 3G, 6G, and other Motorcraft alts but all too big. Looks like there is a lot of room there but - between the battery tray, block, and lower A-Arm it's tight. May wind up making a bracket. For now I cut a keyway in a dual V belt Ford alternator pulley and installed it on my generator. The generator dual V belt pulley for an A/C car is hard to find and pretty expensive (one on ebay now - just the pulley - for over $200). I'm sure Carl could do a lot better but the generator is temporary - still plan on the conversion so didn't want to sink a bunch of money it something I'm not going to use. I did get all the belts pulleys and fan spacer configured for A/C - working fine so far.

Those pulleys on the web site look nice. They do have a 3 groove water pump pulley but all the grooves are the same diameter - probably wouldn't matter (the A/C groove on the factory pulley is larger in diameter and wider)
                            I wonder if their 2 groove alternator pulley has a key way - probably like the one I bought and does not. Couple of hours with a hack saw and file and it can - .
                            Don't see a deep dished PS pulley either - the one shown is flat like original without A/C. They might be able to find what is needed though.

Eric

Comment

• KULTULZ

Why not use a 1G ALT? They can be pumped up to give all the AMPS you need and it would look more OEM on the conversion.

Those aluminum pulleys are designed for the later FE. I just showed them for info (maybe they will duplicate the early OEM pulleys?). You can either try and find the OEM setup or go to the later setups. Depends on how original you want to keep the engine appearance.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎