• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tenshi95
    Apprentice
    • Jul 10 2011

Upgrading to factory power windows

Hello all,

I am about to pull power windows out of a bird for use in my own, I have the manual and a general idea of everything I need, I was wondering has anyone done this before? Anything to be aware of that I need to pull that is easily missed? Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks for reading,
    -Robert
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's certainly doable. Don't overlook the wire guards that go in the door jambs. The most difficult part is the wiring harness from the power window relay on the firewall to the doors and under the console to the switches. Also don't forget the four 15 amp circuit breakers.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
      Experienced
      • Jun 2 2010

If I had my druthers...I'd have manuals over my power windows...
      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You and me both.
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Upgrading to factory power windows

I will third that idea! I have had my share of problems, at times, with power windows.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Hey, well... maybe two of you guys could work a swap! This chance doesn't come too often.
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tenshi95
              Apprentice
              • Jul 10 2011

if I get the conversion done I'd be happy to put my manual cranks up, I'll be sure to take lots of pics, glad you guys mentioned that there could be interest otherwise I might have shelved them.
              -Robert

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                Experienced
                • Mar 31 2004

Initially be very careful when removing the whole assembly from the parts car. Take lots of notes and pics. The power window wiring is an add on as is seperate from the mai harness. Get a caopy of the Dennis C. electrical assembly and the assembly manuals. Te drawings in these will be much more help than the shop manual.

You did not mention the year. There are slight differences with the wiring from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the circuit breakers under the dash/ to the window switches.

The rear power windows will be the biggest pain. Please refer to earlier posts from Dakota and several others. The plastic rollers are garbage. If you can find someone who has made a solid set of rollers that is the best. If not you can reman your originals by filling the center with a brass bushing that leaves no play in the scissors shaft and the slot along the window bottom. No play at all.

Remember to clean and relube all the moveable parts and check to see the motors are fully functional before assembling.

Fuz

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                  Experienced
                  • Jun 2 2010

I see a bad moon risin...
                  "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎