X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'59 "Yellow Rose" Fuel Tank/Fuel Sending Unit Problems

I need some advice regarding what I have run into while troubleshooting a fuel sending unit problem on my '59 Tbird. I had the Fuel/Temperature gauge restored and it appears to be functioning properly. However, my fuel sending unit is not. As per a previous post, (as I recall) I said it had some bad spots on the swing back and forth on the rheostat, causing it to drop to zero and then back up as it hit a good spot again. It does this a number of times throughout its swing back and forth, as monitored on a meter.

The idea was to replace this apparent universal sensor with the correct B 9275A unit for my Bird, so I ordered it. Minus the locking ring, which I did not know about then. I do now. However, this new unit will not work on this gas tank, apparently because someone cut out the locking lip on the tank and modified it to take a universal sensor that bolts on with five bolts. I guess they did not know they could still get an original sensor still and jerry rigged it to work with a universal sensor.

Now I want to get rid of the after market, unlit fuel and temperature gauges bolted to the left lower side of the dashboard. I want to use the original gauges. I am told that if I do find an exact replacement for what I presently have, I am still going to have to use those two after market gauges. You have to use a flashlight to see them at night!

I have posted some pictures of my Bird and my fuel sensor unit and gas tank setup on Photobucket so you can see what I am talking about. You can go here to view the pictures. It will also give you a chance to see what Yellow Bird looks like at present.

Any suggestions to help me correct this problem are appreciated. One I have received from Bart already is that I might want to invest in a new tank, with the appropriate sending unit and gasket (I already own) and the locking ring. If that is what it will take to fix this and allow me to use the real gauges, that is fine with me!

It looks like, having been under the car, that this is the original gas tank. My car has been undercoated and there is undercoating all over the gas tank, bolts, and straps. It just appears to me that some time in the past, there was a failure of the original sending unit and someone got in there, cut out the section that was the locking ring, made the hole bigger, and drilled it to take those five screws on the retaining plate. I am glad they did not catch this Bird on fire! It might have been one of those famous "Hey, Bubba, watch this!" tricks..

All help appreciated. Gotta run. Gotta get ready to go to the So. Texas VTCI Thunderbird Club meeting!

Ray
    '59 "Yellow Rose" VTCI 11178

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎