Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PC1963T-Bird
    • Jul 18 2014

Interior Door Handle Removal

I'm trying to re-mediate a couple issues and I need to take the interior drivers side door panel off. I've removed all the screws and I bought the tool to help remove the handle. I know there is a clip that this tool is supposed to help remove so the handle comes off. I also know that the tool needs to be inserted along the length of the handle.

I still can't get the handle off. Is there a special move I need to do? Or does this tool simply move the clip out of the way so you can pull the handle off?
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Its a bit tricky the first time or two you do it. I've often found it easier to slide a shop rag between the handle and the interior door panel and try and catch the open end of the clip and pull it off the handle. If you are lucky you can push the door panel in far enough to see the clip and make it self explanatory.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

The clip is an "E" configuration. There are different size tools so don't get one for a GM car.

The idea is, like you said, along the handle, slide the tool in and catch BOTH ends of the 'E' clip. As you push, the clip will expand. It might even come off, which is ok.

Trouble comes when you have only one side of the clip off because the remaining end will still hold the handle on the spline.

If you have a spare (or new) handle, put the tool up to the clip and notice how it works. Some handles have a plastic 'washer' between the door panel and handle. This saves the door vinyl but you need to insert the tool between the plastic washer and chrome handle.

CLICK HERE for a YouTube video.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎