This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:06 PM

WC145 is on a distinguished road
Default An update on my '66

Well, since my first post about my new '66 Town I've finished cleaning her up and have done more of the maintenance/mechanical work it needed. Replaced the shocks, turned the rotors, bled the brake system, put in new front wheel bearings, painted the calipers and drums, replaced the belts, etc. Also, replaced the entire exhaust system with 2.25" pipe, Magnaflow mufflers (the little 14" long, 4" round jobs), and chrome GTO/Trans Am style dual turn down tips. It sounds great! I got some pinstriping done on it yesterday and it came out real nice, too.

Still haven't decided what I'm going to do about lowering the front end, I looked at bagging it but that's pretty expensive. I'll probably either order some shorter springs or just cut a coil of the existing ones to bring the front down an inch or two.

Here's a couple pics from Owl's Head Transportation Museum's 50s & 60s get together a couple of weeks ago and some of the pinstriping also.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Looks Great!

I like the pinstriping. Very tastefully done and unique. Especially under the roof emblem.

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 07-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Apprentice

Deblib is on a distinguished road
Default Pinstriping

Nicely done! I like it. Classy and fits the car.
Debbie #38435
Old 07-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Looks very nice....

The only think that sticks out to me is having the front wheel well opening chrome trim vs. the no rear wheel well opening trim. I guess this Bird had the chrome trim on the fender skirts originally??

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Apprentice

1oldkid is on a distinguished road

Car looks great. I too have a 66 and am in the middle of installing a set of shorter springs in the front. Just a 1" drop to remove the gap between the tire and fender. I wouldn't suggest cutting a coil. It's least expensive but it will change the spring rate and alter the ride. I was able to special order a set of lowering springs for about $300.
As for the rear fender trim, mine was the same way, as it came with trim on the skirts. Hunt the wrecking yards and in time you will find the rear trim. Finally, a suggestion on your emblems. If you take a sharpie marker and color in the 'black areas' on your emblems it will revive them at no cost.
Like the wheels, what size are you running?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 PM

WC145 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, all. Yes, Jon, the skirts are in the garage, I've had a eye out for the skirtless trim but it's hard to find.

OldKid - I've seen your car on myrideisme, I think we spoke about your wheels. Mine are 17x8 Coy's and the tires are 235/50s, had to shave a bit off the ridge on the calipers for clearance but no other fit issues. I like the way your car looks without any wheel well trim, something for me to consider. I appreciate the sharpie hint, I'll give that a try.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 PM

pats65bird is on a distinguished road
Default 1965 Tbird Coilovers

Great looking Bird what size of wheel are you using?
I just put front coil-overs on my 65 ride height adjustable.
Pat
Old 01-25-2014, 12:48 AM
Experienced

FINSRIN is on a distinguished road

Per my experience that exhaust treatment is unique for a Tbird.
Good eye for wheels. They work with its squarish styling and no fender skirts. Imparts a performance look.
Was prior exhaust 2 inch ?