This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

Seems to me that car manufacturers must have the fuel mileage average for thier entire fleet meet a certain average mpg now, and then all the models also have to meet crash-test ratings.

As far as I can tell, these government regulations are what limits the design of all new vehicles these days.

Has anyone seen that youtube video where they set up a crash-test with a new Impala vs. a 1960 Impala in a head-on collision?

I love 1960 Impalas, but I would not have wanted to be the crash-test dummy in that old '60....
Old 06-08-2012, 02:49 AM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
As far as I can tell, these government regulations are what limits the design of all new vehicles these days.
Not just vehicles. With shutting down major NASA projects and research along with our "buddies" at EPA and other 3 and 4 letter name agencies - they are stifling not just progress but human development.

There are very few BIG thinkers and risk takers anymore. Elon Musk is probably the only notable exception that comes right to mind. (SpaceX and Tesla autos)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

We are on the cusp of some drastic changes. No, I'm not Carnac the Magnificent. Just observational.

China and Japan started trading directly with their currency the first of June. Bypassed the dollar completely. That is the beginning of a trend to displace the dollar as International currency. Others are doing it also.

One more item and I'll get off my "Doom and Gloom" soapbox.

Having spent those few years in the Mideast has made me aware of the unstableness of that region. I still check a couple of the English news sites from that area frequently.

Today I ran across this:
"Jerusalem to become Egyptís capital under Mursiís rule, says Muslim cleric"
http://english.alarabiya.net/article...07/219272.html (Watch the Video - it will give you an idea of what goes on there EVERY DAY. Makes you realize how fortunate we are not to be trapped in that part of the world.)

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) is that if Mursi becomes President of Egypt in the elections (Which he could), all Hell will break out between Egypt and Israel. You think the Million Man March to DC was something? Wait until there are MILLIONS marching to Jerusalem. AND they would. That Imam would say line up and off they would go.

The upside of these profound societal changes are so far beyond what we can do about it that it should not keep us awake at night. Just be aware of what is going on. The important things in our personal lives must go on and keep us occupied. For example: I'm still not sure which Master Cylinder I want to use on my disc brake conversion and tons of other "small" stuff.

Besides, I have a car show to get ready for the 17th and I am over not being in the garage. I am pretty well healed

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 06-08-2012, 03:37 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
Seems to me that car manufacturers must have the fuel mileage average for thier entire fleet meet a certain average mpg now...
1.5 gallons of ethanol has the same energy content as 1.0 gallons of gasoline.

So, if a gallon of gasoline is something many of us cannot find, why base fuel economy on unobtainable fuel?

These are the facts: The American consumer has supported the Chinese market for many decades. There are no surprises, here. We insisted on buying Chinese goods, so GM, Ford, and Chrysler are there to make a fine Chinese product for us to buy. In 2011, GM made three times more cars in China than they did in the US. We only have ourselves to blame and the US Government has ensured and protected our freedom to purchase whatever you like. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca