Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drj70
    • Jan 8 2014

starter nuetral switch

Hi everyone , so can anyone tell me where the starter neutral switch is located on a 65 ? or what it kinda looks like? sorry if this is a dumb question but I can not seem to find it
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's under the steering column. It looks similar to this. I'm assuming that you still have the original cruiseomatic trans and not a c6.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

No question is too dumb. You have to have the driver's door wide open and be a contortionist to get under there to see it. The vacuum ports control the parking brake release.

Comment

• drj70
        • Jan 8 2014

Alright ! hey thanks guys. I will go find it tonight . hopefully this will be the culprit of why my car wont start. everything else is new so???? fingers crossed .Again thanks for the speedy replies

Comment

• drj70
          • Jan 8 2014

@ John yes original cruze o matic . Would a C6 bolt right up ? or would there have to be modifications made ?

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Sometime in 1966 Ford changed to a c6 transmission in the Thunderbirds. I'm not sure what mods they made. It will certainly bolt up to the 390 fine. The only thing that probably changed was the transmission mount and the linkage. The c6 has the neutral switch on the side of the transmission where the linkage is.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

Most likely the switch is out of adjustment, very common with 60's Fords. Many times you can pull the shift lever as far as you can upwards, beyond the P setting, then turn the key. If it starts like that then all you need to do is adjust the switch. There are 5/16" head screws that hold it to the column on both sides. Loosen and move the switch to the right slightly, then tighten the screws. If the screws can't be tightened then you can keep the switch at its adjusted position with a large hose clamp.

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Also, I made the mistake of replacing my original switch with an aftermarket piece as part of a complete column rebuild. The new switch was poorly made and a terminal broke through the plastic. I ended up cleaning my old one and re-installing it.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎