This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:30 PM

knightrider is on a distinguished road
Default no spark?

just finished changing out the passenger side exhaust manifold due to it being badly cracked. that went rather smooth, until I tried to starting it. seemed to take a long time to finally crank.
next day would not start, now it cranks, gets fuel, but no spark. I did swap out a older flame thrower coil for a new one. old one seemed to read 6-7ohms which seemed high? still no go. I do have the petronix ignitor.
would(could) the ignition switch itself cause no spark? I vaguely remember having a similar issue with the original one 15plus years ago. also coincidently the dome light stopped working a month ago too!

thanks for any insight!!
Old 06-19-2018, 12:37 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Put a test light on the + terminal of the coil and crank the engine. If it lights then you are getting power to the coil and it's not a switch problem. If it doesn't light you will have to trace the wire from the coil to the solenoid and the switch.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-19-2018, 03:02 PM

Default no spark

ok light did light on + side of coil. went back through some connections and all seem good, tight not corroded etc.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Johnny:
Your comments about taking a long time crank and next day would not start concern me. It almost sounds like your battery could be low or weak causing low voltage to the Pertronix and no spark. If it's cranking slowly, you might try throwing a set of jumper cables on and then try that. BTW, did you remove the resistor wire to the coil when you installed the Pertronix?
Nyles
Old 06-19-2018, 03:13 PM

I agree with Nyles. Make sure your battery is fully charged. If you have a voltmeter put it on the + terminal of the coil and check it with both the car cranking and the key in the ON position. I believe the Pertronix ignition needs full 12V to work.

John

Old 06-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
ok light did light on + side of coil. went back through some connections and all seem good, tight not corroded etc.
Did you pull a lead and test it for spark? Easiest just pull a plug and hold it near ground, should arc across
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Apprentice

Hogan is on a distinguished road

Which Pertronix module do you have (I, II, or III)?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 PM
Tinkerer

c4clewis is on a distinguished road

What sidewalkman said. If you dont have a spark, check the battery and make sure you have at least 10v while cranking. The petronix wont fire with much less than 10. If your battery is good, it's likely the petronix module, I've had 1 or 2 go bad on me. 1 was only a partial failure under load and it was a PITA the figure out.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:46 AM

Default no spark.

I am currently running the ignitor 2. I did have a spare plug which used to check spark or lack of
my battery was starting to wear down. I did have it on the charger for a night . I did getting 12v at the coil and resistor on the firewall.

so should I have removed that resistor which is on the firewall? + side goes to the resistor and not quite sure what the other connection goes too.
thanks for all the helpful suggestions!!
Old 06-20-2018, 12:05 PM

When you crank the engine it bypasses the resistor and gets full 12V from the solenoid so I doubt that's your problem. You should bypass the resistor anyway as it needs full 12V to run correctly. You can just remove the wires and connect them together.

John