X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock&Roll Firebird
    Experienced
    • Jun 20 2012

Original carburetor - idle setup?

Hello guys, my '59 came with a very high idle setup. Not sure why, but I guess, it' somewhere around 1.500 rpm. Even with this setup the car runns without any visible problems (sofar). Can you please advise where on the carb the idle can be set? And also maybe what else to look for that could be related to this setup? Thank you.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

There are two adjustment screws for idle. Follow your shop manual procedure.

Sometimes the linkage wears. I'm talking about the parts on top of your intake manifold. After some fifty years, the holes become oblong and the rods tend to stick. Carefully inspect your linkage for this condition. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

Examine the throttle shaft as Dave suggested. Everything needs to turn freely. The "bearing" and seal is the hard steel shaft and the soft pot metal casting.

If it's ovaled out you can have it worked by a machine shop and have bronze bushings installed. Or, many guys change these old carbs out in favor of aftermarket (IMO, inferior) ones that good old cores are readily available. I found a numbers matching one on ebay in the exact auction week that I needed one.

Examine the choke linkage (passenger side) with the choke fully open to make sure that the regular idle screw (drivers side) is actually setting the position. If you have a dashpot (again, driver's side) remove it to set the idle speed.

The purpose of the dashpot is to dampen the transition from higher engine speed back down to idle, preventing stall-out in some conditions. They tend to hang up and cause idle problems. I typically take it off and put it in a box along with other spare parts.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎