This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Experienced

63-4drpost is on a distinguished road
Default 1961 steering box in a 1960?

I know, the stupid guy from Iowa has another dumb idea!
Just wondered if anyone has knowledge of installing a 61 Bird steering gearbox in a 1960 T-Bird?(power)
I had one of Ford's glorius control valve fall off the stud on my 1964 Fairlane many years ago, still a little gun-shy. thanks for any help, Henry
Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 1961 steering box in a 1960?

Hi Henry! I am sure you are not stupid and the only dumb question is the one that was not asked! I don't know the answer to your question, but I bet one of our guys/gals do! There probably was not much difference between the two years, so I am thinking it might be possible to do that. But let's see what one of our techies who might have been down that road has to say.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Experienced

protourbird is on a distinguished road
Default Steering Box

The 1960 T-Bird steering box will cross over to 1960 passenger & sedan delivery only according to the Hollander Interchange. They show an early and a late 60 on the passenger and sedan delivery. The late will fit the early but not the other way around. Search Google or eBay for Lares Corporation. They have a rebuilt unit

Jim

protourbird
Old 12-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Experienced

Default gearbox swap

What I want to do is get rid of the early power steering with it's control valve on the drag link. I want a power gearbox like the late 60's fords use. thanks,Henry
Old 12-29-2010, 05:23 AM

eschober is on a distinguished road
Default Power steering

Hi;

I ran across a website where ther is a company that makes conversion to rack & pinion steeing kits for Fords and on his website says her is working on a kit for the 58-60 Tbids ... it's worth checking out...

http://www.wurthitdesigns.com/
Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Tinkerer

c4clewis is on a distinguished road

He's not done with the rack and pinion yet. He said maybe by Christmas when I called back in October. Give him a call if you're interested though and he'll take your number. He said he's had alot of interest for the squarebirds so hopefully its done soon!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Experienced

protourbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4clewis View Post
He's not done with the rack and pinion yet. He said maybe by Christmas when I called back in October. Give him a call if you're interested though and he'll take your number. He said he's had alot of interest for the squarebirds so hopefully its done soon!
That would be great conversion for those of us who drive them regularly. I sent an email asking to be updated also

Jim

protourbird
Old 12-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Experienced

Default rack and pinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by protourbird View Post
That would be great conversion for those of us who drive them regularly. I sent an email asking to be updated also
the rack and pinion sounds like a big improvement. Thanks for all the help.Henry
Old 12-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I have two rack & pinion setups, one in my '55 Customline and one in the '59 Galaxie. Both rack gears were fashioned using Cavalier rack gears with mounting brackets that bolt into my existing frame holes. I modified my original steering columns below the firewall to fit the rack gear input shaft. I made a bracket to fit the Mustang PS pump in my Y-Block.

I gotta say, this improvement along with disk brakes and 1-1/8" sway bars brings these cars into modern times. There are no leaks. No more drifting or 'hunting' back and forth with the wheel, and like any modern car, my steering is tight with no 'roll' around corners. Parts are available at common auto parts stores. What a pleasure to drive, especially in tight places.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca