• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Framer_guru
    Apprentice
    • Aug 1 2008

Update...

To all,
    It's been a while since I've been on here. An 8 month deployment is to blame. I should finally be home in a couple of weeks just in time for winter. While I was gone my wife surprised me by getting my radiator repaired on my 60, so now I can break in the newly rebuilt engine and set the carb. Can anyone give me some good advice regarding transmissions? I still have the original Cruise-O-Matic but it leaks like a sieve and I am looking to either rebuild it or replace it with something better. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks for all of your continued assistance!
    Jimmy
    Jimmy
    1960 HT in work
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Great to hear you're back !!!!!!

My wife would have sold the car - so I would hold on to the one you have pretty tight.....

Wait - you guys don't have winter in Fla.- that was a funny one.

I'm not much help on the transmissions - mine is still the original C-O-M too. I know they have their weak spots so many replace them with a C series tranny (C4? C6?) from a later car rather than rebuild. That requires some mods to the tranny mount and maybe a flywheel depending on which one you use. Hopefully there will be some folks that can give you better advice or first hand experience.

Eric
    Last edited by DKheld; October 17, 2012, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

Was your Bird a 352cid or 430cid car??
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Framer_guru
        Apprentice
        • Aug 1 2008

My car has teh 352 in it. The transmission works, the car moves under her own power and everything, but seems a bit sluggish. Not a lot of transmission places in Jax, FL, want to deal with older gearboxes.

Next item. Does anyone know or has anyone ever seen a skeleton version of the T-Bird emblem? I have all my original trim pieces but thought, with the flat hot-rod paint job I'm going for, that a Bony Bird emblem would look great on the hood and sides of the roof. Or does anyone know somebody with access to a CNC machine that could possibly make some? Thanks for your replies.

Jimmy
        Jimmy
        1960 HT in work

Comment

• yellow98cobra
          Experienced
          • May 28 2012

Mine seemed sluggish until I read the article in the TRL about the Cruise-o-matic Transmission. I was puting it in D-2, Once I started using D-1 it has plenty of get up and go. It will spin the tires from the line.

Eric
          Yellow98Cobra
          1960 Thunderbird HT
          Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
          There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
          http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

I vote to keep the original transmission then.

Maybe drop the pan, replace the filter, install a new pan gasket, add a can of Sea Foam transmission fluid treatment to her, & then top off with new Type "F" transmision fluid.

This would be a good time to replace the 2 transmission shift shaft O-rings too. Ford PN#D5AZ-7B498-A & 386078-S. These parts #'s are still available at your local Ford parts Dept. counter too!!

sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• lawyercalif
              Experienced
              • May 12 2011

I replaced mine with a C6 at the time I put in the 390. You need to use the later model flex plate and starter. You also need to modify the transmission mount a little. The drive shaft did not have to be modified on mine because I had the proper tail shaft. Some C6's have different length and types of tail shafts the ones out of a truck need to have the passenger car tail shaft to work on the T Bird.

I like the 390/C6 combo a lot. I would do this swap again.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Framer_guru

Next item. Does anyone know or has anyone ever seen a skeleton version of the T-Bird emblem? I have all my original trim pieces but thought, with the flat hot-rod paint job I'm going for, that a Bony Bird emblem would look great on the hood and sides of the roof. Or does anyone know somebody with access to a CNC machine that could possibly make some?

Thanks for your replies.

Jimmy
                Maybe find an artist (auto paint) and have them airbrushed on? Should be a lot cheaper.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                  Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Jimmy welcome back, as it has been awhile. Won't be long and you will be back in the swing of things on our site with the gang
                  Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                  Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍