No announcement yet.

Welding

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding

Just wondering why I'm having trouble welding new metal to the old metal on my car? It seem to work in some places and not in others. Any thoughts.
    Thanks.
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Need more info:
    Rust?
    Dirt?
    Paint?
    Galvanized?
    Gauge of steel?
    Poor Ground?
    Arc? (if so what rod and dia)
    TIG?
    MIG?

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Jim, are you soldering, brazing or welding with MIG, TIG, stick? What welding rod are you trying?

The field of welding is wide open and you don't give much info. Metals used in the past are not much different, outer skins are all premium 'drawable' mild steel. Some applications call for 'high strength' steel but that is usually in frame parts, etc.

Some steel is coated with zinc or galvanized on one or both sides. I could play a guessing game all day but tell us what areas you are welding. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

Check your grounds.

Comment

Mig with argon gas. And plate steal.

Comment

welding

Most important how much mig have you done in past reel speed amperage and as said before good solid ground as close as possible to work area welder iron worker by trade

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Plate steel? Most of the welding done on Ford frames is done with innershield-core wire (no gas, reverse polarity) and some is done with stick welding, cranked all the way up, & filler rod. It's more like 'fusion' instead of welding. They have a Jackson rod holder in one hand and a filler rod in the other. Production line welders go as fast as possible. Their welding machines are water cooled and 100% duty cycle.

For dissimilar metals we use stainless wire/rod. It is more money but it sticks to everything steel. If you have a welding store in your area and a stick welder, ask to try a few 3/16" 308 stainless rods. They weld with AC as well as 6013. 308 stainless also comes in MIG wire sizes.
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎