Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

500 mile trip - ended with a bad fuel pump...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Had to be out of town for a few days - just installed a new fuel pump a couple of weeks ago - Tbird was running great - weather was supposed to be good most days - so decided to roll in the Thunderbird.

Planned on taking a bunch of pics but I was having so much fun I took very few.....(loved seeing folks with their mouth hanging open as I went by). Saw a gal taking a pic of my rear end at a stop light - heh.

First day's trip ran into night. I love that dash (too bad it was a blurry pic - but wanted to keep at least one hand on the wheel).

Day 2 was pretty nice!

On the way to lunch.....

The day I started home (in the rain) I noticed a fuel/oil smell more than normal (no draft tube - I have PCV on a newer engine).
    Found the new fuel pump leaking OIL !
    It's coming out around the pump seal NOT between the block and pump gasket so 99% sure it's just a bad seal in the pump. Can't think of anything else it could be especially since the one before was not leaking in that way - only reason I replaced it was that I rebuilt it and didn't trust the pin holding the main pump seal. You can see all the oil on the back of the power steering pump and blown on top of the pump by the fan. Might be able to see the bubble of oil on the pump body (next to the hard line going up to the carb). Strange - never had one do this.

Pump is an AirTex from Rock Auto. I'm sure they will take care of a replacement.

At least I made it home.

Eric
    Last edited by DKheld; October 2, 2014, 06:40 PM.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Did any gas get into the oil. Usually that happens when the seal goes.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

Strangely enough John - no.
      I had to add about 1/2 quart of oil before I ran the final 100 miles home.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've never seen one leak like that. I've seen the wiper diaphragm go and suck oil into the intake manifold. Hopefully Rock Auto sends you a new one.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Wow, Eric! I am glad to hear that you were able to get her back home without having to flatbed her! That is strange that happened like that, but you are lucky you were able to get her home safely. Hopefully, Rock Auto will take care of the replacement. Thanks for the great pix taken on the trip! I bet you did turn a lot of heads when she went by!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

In addition to what Eric posted, he also told me about something that happened recently that is really fascinating! Here is what he said, and gave me permission to post.

"Did I tell you guys that by sheer coincidence - the first cruise in I went to a fellow approached me about the car. Said his good friend had one and started a forum years back. I asked if it was Alexander's Squarebirds forum and he was shocked that I knew quite a bit about it. Turns out the fellow was visiting NC from NY and it was one of Alexanders long time friends. There were so many other folks asking me questions at the time I failed to get his name...... Pretty sure he and his friend left in a nice black shoebox Ford resto-mod. Probably a '52-'53 Customline.."

Anyone know who that might have been??? If so, please let us know..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Well - here's an update......

Figured out from my gas receipts that I got about 520 miles out of the new Airtex fuel pump.

Sent an email to Rock Auto for warranty repair. WOW - had not only an answer in less than 2 hours but had my return authorization and promise of a new one as soon as they received tracking from the return.
              Rock Auto also provides Fed-X return shipping at a discount - it was half what USPS wanted for standard shipping. Took one week from the first email to a new part at my door (Tues - Tues) and that with a postal holiday yesterday.

But...........thanks to poor quality control at Airtex........ I'll now have to find a different inlet hose barb or adapter. Looks like someone tapped the housing for a different larger hose barb - and it's co**** thread. It should have been smaller and fine thread. The other two I saved and the other one that just went bad were all the same. Guess that's about the only disadvantage of ordering parts on line - can't just run back to the store and tell them it's wrong.

I'm sure I could get with Rock Auto and they would take care of it but that would be another week of down time plus return shipping costs.

The one on the right is the newest one with the oversized inlet. Of course I had already installed the outlet adapter before I noticed the trouble with the inlet.....

Eric

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Two of the last two Airtex pumps I have installed have been bad. Madeinchina I guess.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Eric, I feel your pain and I'm sorry that happened to you but... these threads are standard pipe threads. I keep adapters from let's say 1/4"-NPT to 3/8"-NPT in my cabinet. Otherwise, Home Depot carries them for a couple bucks. It's a common pipe bushing that uses common 'National Pipe Taper' threads.
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Aug 27 2008

Dave - thanks - picked up the correct adapter Wednesday - actually found it in the "help" section at Advance Auto when I was picking up my oil and filter. Of course it was a bit too long and I had to shave one of the barbs off but I'm back on the road.

Speaking of oil filters - geez - the Fram filter housings are getting thin - not much better than a soda can Had a few WIX filters squirreled away but used the last one. Maybe I'll try the genuine Motorcraft FL-1A next time.

Steve - I hope you didn't put the hex on my second fuel pump from Airtex Did you switch to a different brand or finally get a good one from Airtex?

Eric
                    Last edited by DKheld; October 17, 2014, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎