X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toddgilroy
    Experienced
    • Aug 30 2014

Inner rocker help

I recently purchased a 1960 convertible and have been reading a lot of posts about inner rocker rust problems. Checking mine out but not quite sure what I am looking at here. The photos are passenger side looking front to back. Obviously some rust damage on the left, but it appears some repair/reinforcement work has been performed???

EDIT by Dave - Maybe I can help you post your pictures. I left your post as original and added to the end. Here's what I did:
    I RIGHT CLICKED on that little square, and chose 'Properties'. Then I copied the url.
    I LINKED your url and if you click on it, another window will take you right to your photobucket pictures.
    I clicked on the first picture, right clicked on it and again I copied the url.
    Then I brought it to your post and clicked on the IMG icon and pasted the url. Here's the end result:

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/to...bird%20rockers <--This is the 'chain LINK'. Below is the 'IMAGE'

Last edited by simplyconnected; September 26, 2014, 08:27 PM.
    Todd Gilroy
    1960 Tbird Convertible
    Thunderbird Registry #54651
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I don't see any photos. Can you reattach them.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

You may want to decode your data plate just to see if your convertible was built as a convertible. Unibody convertibles always have more strength built in, either by thicker steel, 'high strength' steel or by the addition of more steel (than hardtops have).

A 'Ford-built' convertible has an extra 'Z' spot welded in the rocker panels. If you followed some of the threads regarding rocker panels, you should see the addition of a steel 2" X 4" channel stretching between the front and rear wheels. This channel is actually stronger than the original convertible rockers. The channel fits nicely and welds directly onto the body.

Your rocker looks like it has new steel but I would still add the channel just for needed strength. Some of these old Squarebirds are so rusted, the doors won't close. Seriously, if you add seatbelts, they bolt to the floor pans and they need to be solid. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• toddgilroy
        Experienced
        • Aug 30 2014

Thank you for the help on getting the photos resized...I did that on photo bucket and I think the link is working now. Next step is to call YellowRose to learn how to post directly to the server.

The data plate indicates 76A body style so it has always been a convertible. The doors close fine, but there is a little sag as evidenced by uneven gaps around the doors, more apparent on the passenger side.

Hopefully this link works until I learn how to post direct.

Thanks!
        Todd
        Todd Gilroy
        1960 Tbird Convertible
        Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡