X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Chinese-made cars are coming

Get the latest local Detroit and Michigan breaking news and analysis , sports and scores, photos, video and more from The Detroit News.

Chinese-made cars are coming to these shores very soon. In surveys, 35% of Americans said they would consider purchasing them. Many of their models would cost under $10,000, but higher end models are also in the planning. I think it is a matter of time before all domestic automobile manufacturing will be discontinued. Already the Chevy Equinox has a Chinese-made Buick engine. People already accept that products from American brands such as Motorola, GE and Hewlett-Packard are made in China. Most Americans will accept buying a Ford or Chevy made in China.

It is interesting that GM threatened to file a lawsuit for Chery not to use that name for products sold in North America, because GM believes that Chery (pronounced "Sherry") is to close to sounding like Chevy (pronounced "Chevee"). They don't sound close at all in pronunciation to me. It is funny that Honda apparently did not feel threatened by the similarity of the Hyundai name.

Are you ready for a Chinese made Thunderbird?

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic
  • SandyBoy
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 31 2002

RE: Chinese-made cars are coming

I have a plan.
    It's the plan that the present occupant of the White House should do, but so far he hasn't done anything that he should do, IMO. Here's the plan:

Any American living in America who purchases a 2006 or NEW 2005 GM, Ford or Chrysler car or truck would get a 3% reduction on their income tax in 2007. Any American who purchases any car brand that is owned by a Foreign company gets a surcharge on their income tax of 4%. This would - in my opinion - aid & assist the American Car Corporations. I believe a huge turn-around would occur.

But, Bush would not do such, as he'd rather spend mega-billions bailing out GM & Ford, and paying prop-up fees to keep them afloat right about the time they file bankruptcy !!

Plymouth was first, Oldsmobile was second. When they pulled the plug on Oldsmobile at GM, Oldsmobile was selling MORE cars & trucks than PONTIAC is selling TODAY !! Pontiac, Buick, & Mercury are on the endangered list, now! The "NEW" General Motors will be: Cadillac, Chevrolet & Saturn. Ford, will be Lincoln & Ford. Ultimately, there will be 5 brands of American cars & trucks. BOTH corporations will be downsized to the sise of Mitsubishi and/or Audi, today.

Their Stock ? 80% less than today. It's obvious that 90% of all American Citizens do not care, until THEY are laid off (assuming) ~ they are. There is no patriotic feeling for anything American, by Americans, left in this country. They drive to the 4th of July only to ooo & ah at the fireworks! There is little to no pride in this country nor the products its citizens manufacture. They drive to the 4th of July programs in their Hyundais & Hondas, wearing all imported clothing. Surrounded by products from afar and think little of it.
    Do you think they even KNOW, mush less care, if their Ford has a Chinese engine ?
    Remember, the "War" was declaired over last May ! So, don't look for any sympatico from our present Gov't.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

I can't see that kind of legislature even being presented, much less passed. Congress is too concerned what our trading partners would do in response to legislation like that. Never mind that we already run a trade deficit with nearly all of our industrialized trade partners.

As it stands the Federal and many State and local governments give you tax and other incentives to buy an imported car such a Honda or a Toyota. That is if the imported car is a hybrid. Check out http://www.hybridcars.com/incentives.html .

Our trade partners would not give their citizens a tax incentive to buy an imported car even it used no fossil fuel and sucked smog out of the air.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

I have never purchased a forign car. I have friends that have and still do. When I asked why I was told that they last longer. For example: A good friend purchased new in 1998 a Toyota 4 Runner. That same year I purchased a 1998 Grand Marquis. His car has about 106K miles on it and my marquis has 102K miles. He spent more money up front to buy the thing, and has spent way more money on repairs. Not that the repairs were more serious but the parts cost is so much higher. I can take him at any red light or stop sign and my rear seat passenger are as comfortable as sitting on their living room sofa. Mean while the rear passenger of his 4 runner has to be dropped of for a kidney transplant because their old kidneys were pounded into their butts. And I get 26 mpg combined hwy&city. I just don't get it. And I don't think I ever will.

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

I find it funny that many imports have good reputation despite their reliability and longevity.

Don't get me wrong, some imports are very good cars, better than some of the domestics, but they are not the miracles of lngevity and reliability that people make them out to be.

My T-birds are nearly 50 years old and they still can drive anywhere. No one that I know has a 50 year old import.

Even the people who say their imports are so reliable tend to trade them in every three years. How would they know they are reliable long term?

I have an eight year old Mark VIII that I drive daily. The repairs have been rare and relatively inexpensive. How much better can a car be than this?

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 21 2003

I agree with everything that has been posted on the subject here.
            However, as someone in a "design profession", I think a lot of the attraction with imports has to do with styling and aesthetics.

Don't get me wrong, there are some really beautiful cars that have been produced by American companies during recent years, but that is not the norm - at least in my opinion and according to my tastes.

It seems to me that American styling sorta tanked in the early 70's and never really bounced back - certainly not to the degree that was experienced in the post-war decades leading up to the oil crisis.

A lot of foreign cars just "look" well-designed and are very contemporary.
            Many American cars are using the same platform for the last 20+ years. The design changes have been mostly cosmetic and don't contain a lot of substance. Everyone seems so afraid to take styling chances...
            America needs to regain control of the industry and be more adventurous! Like the squarebirds were....
            Can you imagine that sort of daring and flair today?

In today's society of "keeping up with trends" and looks being more important that integrity or value, it's not surprising that many people buy imports.
            Most American's don't care about quality. That concept too "long range" for today's instant gratification society

Personally, I have only owned Fords.
            I am also completely crazy about ALL older American cars - their style and boldness have never been matched.

Casey
            60 hardtop
            Casey

Comment

• SandyBoy
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 31 2002

For me, personally it's not a question of who makes a better car. I am of the belief that if one does not abuse their car(s) & takes PREVENTATIVE maintenance seriously, follows the owner's manual, making adjustments for unusually low mileage (me) or unusually high mileage and washs it frequently, waxs it at least 4 times a year, and uses common sence, that any Domestic will equal or exceed any car made by a foreign corporation. Therefore, since I do those things, I prefer to support a domestic, for the good of our industrialized nation. Sadly, few think as do I, and THAT is/was the why of why I feel that Joe Average in America needs a big push to inspire hizzelf to check out a Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Chevrolet, Saturn, Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep or a company owned by the above, namely, Saab, Volvo, Jaguar, Aston Martin or Mazda.

We, if Americans, living in America, can NO LONGER (even if WE WANTED TO) purchase American made Televisions, Radios, Clothing, Watches, Clocks, etc, etc. Take a look in any Walmart or K-Mart or Target, or Macys where the items are manufactured, and who the companies are that MAKE the stuff. Very Very little in American made.
              We are at the cross-over bridge to turning over our domestic transportation industry, simply because America's citizens have been hoodwinked into thinging that they are getting something better if it's made in Germnay or Japan. The Sheep-mentality is giving away the manufacturing base of the USA ~ somebody much more powerful than I needs to shake & wake them up. The ONLY one left to be powerful & convincing enough is our government.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎