No announcement yet.

Vacuum advance info

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum advance info

Hello, I wanted to pass on some info about new distributors and attached vacuum advances. I replaced the distributor on my 60 430, It came with a vacuum advance attached. After installing it I experienced a lot of pinging. I tried adjusting the timing up and down. I even thought my balancer had slipped, pulled the plugs and checked top dead center-no problems found. I just could not get the thing to stop pinging on even the slightest take off or incline running high test and octane booster. Tried a new distributor same problem. I then put a vacuum pump on the vacuum advance and pumped. The advance lever started to move with the slightest amount of vacuum. I replaced the vacuum advance with a NOS one for the 60 430. I found that it took quite a bit more vacuum to make the lever move. I hooked it up and no more pinging. Set the timing and off I went with no more pinging and plenty of power. The vacuum advance that came with the new distributor was pulling too much vacuum too quick, causing my timing to advance much too soon. Thought I would pass that along for those replacing a distributor or vacuum advance.
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Andy:

Thanks for that information. I also replaced mine awhile back. The diaphram was shot.

Do you remember how many spacers are behind the spring on your vacumm advance? Also, what was the Part Number of that Vacuum advance that you bought for the 430?
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

I believe there were two(2) washers. I'll try and get part # for you.

Comment

• bcomo
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 23 2005

Thanks Andy.
        Bart
        1960 Hard Top/430
        Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰