X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Ray BUILT a new computer.

Ray Clark has a new vocation... Today he built a new computer from the motherboard up. This computer is no wimp, either. It's an Intel i7 QUAD processor that runs at 3.4Ghz, and married with 8GB of ram.

Ray got fed up with his old system for many reasons, so he opened the ATX case, pulled out the old motherboard and ram, then he installed top drawer components. My hat goes off to Ray. He built this computer on his dining room table, by himself.

Earlier in the week, Ray had questions for the Geek Squad at Best Buy. In a nutshell, they lied like dogs and tried to scare poor Ray into believing he would blow up his new ASUS motherboard. At one point they offered to sell Ray a simple cable for $100, or a new power supply for nearly the same money. No, Ray is using his original power supply and it works just fine.

Now you know what Smooth Ray was doing on Sunday evening. He's got tricks up his sleeve, I tell you. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

• YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Ray BUILT a new computer.

What Dave didn't tell you is that I could not have done this without his long distance help! He helped my decide which components to buy, how much RAM, etc.. Then, as I was taking out the old stuff and putting in the new, he was there to help me too via the phone. Not only is he a great mechanic, but he is also a great computer tech. He also tells me he is a great lover, toooo! I will have to ask Robin about that though! lmbo.. Seriously, Dave is a great help to me and we have one fantastic webmaster, PC Guru, and wencher.... errr, I mean wrencher!!

The new system in my old ATX tower is a ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Motherboard, an Intel Core 4 Core i7-2600K CPU and 2 8GB DDR3 RAM, with one of them being an out of box failure when I started up the PC. So I only have 8GB as Dave said, at the moment. I am going to have to send that one back and get another set. This tower has a 2TB hard drive in it too. As for the power supply, it is a 430W one, and seems to handle things well. This motherboard and CPU are loafing because I don't have any bigtime audio, video or gaming stuff going on with it.

As for the Geek Squad guy, it was not just him, but a couple of others where were trying to tell me that I could not use an adapter plug on my power supply feed, or if I did want to, they had one for $100 I could get. Or I could buy a new power supply from them... Dave really knows his stuff and told me they were full of it, and so it seems they were...

I gots to get some sleeeeepppp! It has been a long day, but this puppy is zipping right along. So far, so good! A neat thing about Win7 is that it picked up all my personal files when I re-loaded Windows. Now I just have to start restoring the software I use. I got email working already. Thanks, Dave!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

I though that updating the computer means buy a new iMac.
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• keith
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2010

Originally posted by Anders
        I though that updating the computer means buy a new iMac.
        That's how I update too. Except I ain't brave enough to try a Mac.
        Keith
        Sedalia, Mo.
        sigpic
        CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• Jimz Bird
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2011

A little something for the Apple "Fan Boys".

Warning: There a about 2 or 3 uses of Adult Language.

Very Funny - if you are not a True Blue Apple Fan Boy.
          Jim
          Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• frank58
            Super-Experienced
            • May 28 2006

ROFL, Great stuff Jim........
            and grats to Ray on your first build.

Comment

Nice job Ray ...

Just make sure it let's you back in the house. " I'm sorry Ray but I'm afraid I can't open the air lock." Mike

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

I agree, Jim... I'm sitting here still laughing at the skit after playing it a couple times.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 19 2008

Since I bought my iMac, 3 years ago, I have not have ANY issue, virus or anything what so ever with it. Nada. Zero.
                  Before that, I use to "lease" through Volvo, where I work. It was a constant problem. I have it repaired, supported and I donīt know what, so many times I lost count. It broke down all the time. And it was no cheep stuff either. No, no.
                  I frankly donīt give a sh*t in what performance they say they come up with. Gigabytes or megabytes. Iīm sticking with iMac for a long, long, long, long time. It just work. And I have no idea what Megabyte there is in it. LOOKS GOOD TOO!
                  Last edited by Anders; March 20, 2012, 11:38 AM.
                  sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 3 2011

What you should have bought 3 years ago was Apple stock.
                    March 21 2009 it closed at $101.59
                    March 21 2012 it closed at $605.96

I know I wish I had
                    Jim
                    Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Hey Anders, if you love your iMac, that's GREAT! Success stories are far and few between, these days.

Ray only spent $500, and got a modern, crazy-fast computer. Does he need it? I think if anyone buys computer equipment, the good stuff isn't much more than the old stuff (because it's in mass production and there's plenty left over for aftermarket). In the end, what do you end up with?

Ray was already 'maxed-out' with his old equipment. In fact, Windows 7 barely ran on his 2GB of memory. Now, the same Windows is operating a quad-core i7 Intel processor. His computer actually has four processors for practically no money. I haven't figured out what a system like his would cost (already assembled and out the door), but Ray saved a bundle and all his parts carry FULL manufacturer's warranties. I think the processor is guaranteed for three years by Intel. Hang on to all your receipts, Ray. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎