Removing a car from years of storage

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spork
    • Aug 26 2018

YellowRose, I figured I'd paint it the Royal burgandy. He liked that color, and I like the color too. I was trying to figure out the engine colors. Since I'll be cleaning everything up it seems like a good chance to freshen up the colors there as well. As for the vin tag

Edit:
    By the way I checked out that link earlier and have spent several hours already going through old posts and links to try and get a little more up to date on this project. All help on this project really is appreciated. Thanks again!

Comment

• spork
      • Aug 26 2018

Originally posted by jopizz
      The original valve covers had FORD on them and were painted yellow. You probably have '63 valve covers that have THUNDERBIRD on them. They were originally painted gold. They probably wouldn't look very good painted yellow. I would either get a set of original valve covers and paint them yellow or keep what you have and repaint them gold. '62 valve covers were painted silver. Going by the picture you posted they look gold to me. I don't know if you have the original air cleaner or not but white is the correct color. Everything else should be semi-gloss black.

John
      Thanks for the info. Any clue if there is an aerosol in gold that is close to correct, or where I can get the gold and shoot it with a gun?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The correct color is Castilian Gold. You can get it here in a spray can:

You can probably also get it mixed if you want use a spray gun.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Here are a couple of ideas on the paint colors on the engine.

Original brochure showing the '60 engine paint colors at the bottom. White air cleaner and yellow valve covers - black block.

I found "Sunburst Yellow" at Lowes in a rattle can that was close to the original yellow valve covers - probably a little bright but looks good to me.

I had to replace the engine in mine so decided to make a few changes. The engine I installed had PCV and no filler tube for the oil on the intake like the original 352 so I installed cheap chrome valve covers I bought off ebay ($30 - including shipping - can't remember who I bough them from - just search on Ford FE or 352 chrome valve covers) Here's some just like mine but don't think this is the person I bought from.

Also bought some stickers for a '55-'57 Tbird 312 to put on the chrome valve covers because I like the look.
          Needed a push in breather cap (from Advance Auto) and that's where I add oil (passenger side). Oh - and I found some chrome spark plug wire guides while I was at Advance and bought those to route the wires around the chrome valve covers rather than over.

Here's what it looked like originally.........

Eric

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Off topic but I cannot believ how long and more importantly, skinny those starter relay and ground wires are on a Squarebird!

My Flairbird ones are probably not any different in diameter but seem to be shorter.

I guess if your starter spins I’ve fast enough they suffice.
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• bird 60
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 18 2009

Unless I am mistaken John, the Castilian Gold was for the '61 Air Cleaner Housing.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by bird 60
                Unless I am mistaken John, the Castilian Gold was for the '61 Air Cleaner Housing.

Chris......From OZ.
                In '61 and '62 the valve covers and air cleaner were argent silver.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• sidewalkman
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 14 2015

On the transmission front, a lot of the adjustment is done from the kickdown rods on the firewall, don't mess with them too much, on mine turn it 2 turns one way and you have slippage, 2 turns the other and it shifts like a hammer, it's all trial and error. If all else fails you can get a C6 and bolt it right on, you're not worrying about numbers matching and they're a bullet proof transmission and far easier and cheaper to get rebuilt.
                  Scott
                  South Delta, BC, Canada
                  1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                  Red Leather Interior!
                  www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                  Thunderbird Registry #61266
                  http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Welcome, Jim. I would love to see a lot of pictures of your '60, especially shots from under the hood.

You may send them to: simplyconnected@aol.com. I will post them for you. (Try to send well-lit high resolution pics.)

There are many improvements our members have done to upgrade their Squarebirds. Power front disk brakes, electric wipers, radial tires and a solid state Constant Voltage Regulator (for your gauges) are some but re-bushing your front suspension and replacing your springs are up there as well.

We can talk about all this after you get your 'bird on the road.

You mentioned brake lines. They're probably old and need to be replaced but if you're going to do disk brakes, it's better to do everything at the same time instead of doing this job in pieces and having to re-do brake lines many times. I believe in doing things once, the right way and saving money.

These are only suggestions you may want to consider if you plan on driving among modern cars (that already have these improvements). - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎