X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 430bird60
    Experienced
    • Dec 30 2008

Turn Signal Indicator Light

I'm in the process of installing the gage cluster in my 60. Before I install the gages I wanted to test all of the bulbs. Everything is working with one exception. THE LEFT TURN SIGNAL INDICATOR LIGHT DOES NOT WORK. Both the l/f and l/r signal lights are working. I tried two different bulbs and one different flasher with no success. I used a test light and don't seem to be gettng power to the socket. Everything was working prior to removing the gage cluster. Any suggestions? Thanks

Ken
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Let's back up a bit... Your turn signals come from your steering column and the bullet connectors associated with it. You did not mention whether your directional signal up front flashes.

Let's start at the Green/White connector coming out of the column. My schematic shows a second connector just downstream, that feeds the dash light socket while the main wire continues to the front signal lamp. Use a 12-volt test light with one wire connected to a solid ground. Prod the connection at the column with the key turned on and the turn signal lever turned down. If you find power continue down that same Gn/Wh wire to the next connector, then finally to the dash lamp holder. If all good, you have a bad ground. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 430bird60
      Experienced
      • Dec 30 2008

Thanks Dave. Maybe I dislodged the wire at the column. I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks

Ken

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

For those unfamiliar, Ford bullet connectors are tough to pull apart and to snap back in place. Sometimes, I use pliers to help (just stay away from metal).

Ford's color scheme can be confusing as well but it always follows the same 'rules'. Understand that Ford didn't make wire harnesses, a few places supplied them.

If the wiring diagram calls out 'RED-GREEN' for example, most people think this is a red wire with a green stripe. It could be, but it also could be a solid green wire with a molded red plastic END.

There are eight column wires with many combinations of blue, yellow, orange, green, red and white. If you don't know to look at the wire ends it may appear there are three green wires and three blue wires. Not at all, every wire has a different color if you know what to look for. Also consider the age of the plastic colors.
        Consider these wires:

A green wire with a green end is simply called, 'GREEN'. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 430bird60
          Experienced
          • Dec 30 2008

Yes. Both front and both rear turn signals work. The only thing not working is the left turn indicator light. I'll get back at it this afternoon. Thanks

Ken

Comment

• 430bird60
            Experienced
            • Dec 30 2008

Well, the only thing I can figure is that I didn't get the new LED bulb properly seated in the socket. The turn indicator light is working fine now.
            Thanks Dave. I also replaced the bezels for the ignition, lights, lighter and wipers with new bezels (green). Light shines fine through the ignition and wiper bezels but not through the the lights and lighter bezels. There is only one bulb to illuminate the ignition/lights and one to illuminate the lighter/wiper bezels. I can see a bit of white light shining around the lighter element. I looked at the bezels prior to installing and green lettering was there. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
            Ken

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎