Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will a Chevy Transmission w/ Overdrive adapted up to a 352 fit in an AC tbird?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3dpsycho
    • Jun 26 2009

Putting back together a Dissembled tbird and Trying to get some better fuel economy... along with an eventual EFI setup, I was heavily contemplating putting in a transmission with overdrive since I hear its about impossible to expect better mpg without it.
    I had a C6 I was going to put in it, but the overdrive add on is nightmarish in cost... the other option I see is an adapter plate and either to bolt up an AOD or a chevy 700R4 or 2004R (which is better for mpg/ease of installation?) any known issues or clearance problems with the chevy transmissions if you have an AC setup on your squarebird? (also if anyone has such an adapter they wish to sell they are not using anymore I am all ears!)
    Thanks!
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Hope you get some info on this. I have a 352 non A/C car with the stock cruise-o-matic and Ford 4100 (107K miles). Gets 9-11mpg in town and 20-21mpg on the road. I had that same nightmare a few years back looking at the Gear Vendors OD and a megasquirt EFI. Somebody wake me up!

As little as I drive mine I figured it would take about 30 years @ 2.75/gallon to break even. For the cost of the OD and EFI I would have been able to buy a nice used low mileage late model Ford EFI V8 w/AOD from a salvage yard but didn't want the fabrication headache making it fit.

The AOD wouldn't help in the city and I always wondered how much it would help on the hwy (2-3mpg?) since it will be pushing a brick down the road. The Squarebird is little bit more aerodynamic than a brick but only a little. It would surely drop the engine rpm which might save some wear and tear. When I was driving mine on the hwy I ran around 75mph and the 352 was turning some serious rpms for a big 'ole V8 - probably around 4000.

Good luck on that project and keep us posted.

Eric
    registry 5347

Oh - BTW - I heard it was illegal to put a Chevy tranny in a Tbird. ;-)
    Last edited by DKheld; January 19, 2010, 02:42 PM. Reason: can't even spell - spell - much less type it

Comment

• protourbird
      Experienced
      • Apr 29 2008

I put the Performance Automatic Street Smart FE AOD in my 60 and at 75MPH I'm turning about 2200 RPM with the original 3:08 gear. The transmission is pretty stout and they offer different performance levels up to one with a lifetime guarantee depending on what you want to spend. I had to re-drill the holes in my cross member and get a different length drive shaft made but on last week's 700 mile trip it was worth it.
      sigpic
      Jim

protourbird

Comment

Putting chebby junk ...

in a ford? (the shame of it)Unless your running big time HP an AOD will work just fine, and built correctly will handle even big power. Mike

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

Let's not be cuttin' up on those Chevy's !!!

I'm still a Chevy guy. I had MOPAR's as a kid (MOPAR= My Ol Pig Aint Runnin)

But truthfully, the 700's or 200R4's are no better than an AOD. That or a C6 with a Gearvendor O/Drv.

That new AOD that will bolt to an FE block is the way to go!!!

I'm an American Iron guy now !!! No Japanese . . . Korean . . . Or overpriced Krout-Cans (I'm 1/2 German- I can say it)

All these imports have had the American car buying public fooled for years. Hook, line & sinker. Pitiful !!

Yes. I ride a Harley too.

BUY AMERICAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Attached Files

Comment

• 3dpsycho
            • Jun 26 2009

Thank you so far for the responses...
            I wonder how much that Performance Automatic Street Smart would put me back?
            Obviously as mentioned by one savy poster the price would kinda have to be justified with the fuel economy (a gear vendors alone runs about 2700)...
            So far I have come across a Wilcap adapter setup (550 + 50$ for mopar starter + tranny cost) ... seams kinda odd the adapter plate cost infinitely more than the tranny. Considering the Chevy trans (700r4?) because here in Omaha AOD's from the non-electrical time period are pretty scarce (let alone one in good shape)... this is of course if a chevy trans would fit...
            affordable fuel injection sells an EFI setup for about 1200 which I guess isn't too bad in comparison... (obviously tried to look for one used... no luck imagine that!)
            and of course I did consider a modern setup engine (actually tried a 4.6... FAIL!) but from what I here the only slightly reasonable approach is the 5.0, but it lacks the torque from what I see in the threads (especially since I'll be adding a few lbs for the convertible I am making it)
            Last edited by 3dpsycho; January 21, 2010, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• 3dpsycho
              • Jun 26 2009

come on guys ... ya gotta be more inventive

Wilcap turned out not to be a viable option so... ok... so the transmissions in these beast have removable bell housings... so one would technically be able to bolt up maybe another newer transmission with overdrive (and removable bell housings) to this bellhousing and bolt to our engines right?... any suggestions as to what would work/fit best?

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by 3dpsycho
                Wilcap turned out not to be a viable option so... ok... so the transmissions in these beast have removable bell housings... so one would technically be able to bolt up maybe another newer transmission with overdrive (and removable bell housings) to this bellhousing and bolt to our engines right?... any suggestions as to what would work/fit best?
                If you were here in New Zealand I guarantee SOMEBODY would do that adaptation, we're so far from the 'ready-to-use' suppliers we have to MAKE stuff that we need.

(Look at Burt Munro!)
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• ayrwoof
                  Experienced
                  • Apr 4 2005

[The best setup is still the 3speed with overdrive that came one these
                  cars. if you want more milage and more yank at your neck. also
                  here you could play with 3:50 rear gears instead of the stock 3:70.
                  ratio.. but the 3:50 will need a the camshaft advanced 4 deg or so to
                  put torque lower.. (i'd do this anyway) . it will add to brake booster
                  vaccuum a great deal.. with close to stock ign timming..
                  prem fuel. and good driving habits play thier part. and speed.
                  the squarebird windshield is more wind slippery than most think since
                  the aire goes around it too..
                  at 4000 # these are heavy cars. and it cost to move em..
                  STILL i think with a good 3 on the tree and od you can get close to 22
                  mpg ........

Comment

• KULTULZ

In My Opinion

-BENDTSENS TRANSMISSION ADAPTERS-

An AOD is a completely logical upgrade. 430 Guys, they have one for you too.

I don't speak GM, ASIAN or EURO-TECH.

If one wants to go with EFI, a 351W swap with EEC-IV is logical if the owner is not concerned with originality. The AOD bolts directly to it.

EFI swap on a FE is fairly easy with either CFI or EFI.

Comment

• tbird bob
                      • Feb 18 2009

why do you want to do something stupid? you don't deserve to own a bird. go buy a used geo metro.

Comment

• ayrwoof
                        Experienced
                        • Apr 4 2005

lincoln 254's

Bill Slatin of our indiana bird chapter has had his 60 ht since72 as a good
                        low milage car. he found a 428cid motor put in stock 390 cam to the original motor 66 bird (gulp). then installed 2:54 lincoln versalli ring and pinnion .. on way to the air show at pochano ,Ind. he flew past me doin
                        about 110 mph . I cought up to him at beltway burger he said dave my car is loafin at 100mph...

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Now, now! Play nice! When corresponding with Alexander regarding restoring my Tbird, he told me to do what I wanted to with it. It was my car and my money. If I wanted to keep it all numbers correct original, modify it and make it safer, or customize the heck out of it, make up my mind and do it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• c4clewis
                            Experienced
                            • Aug 18 2010

Bendsten adapter install headache

I am in the process of installing a '91 AOD out of a LTD Crown Vic in my '59. What I have learned so far is that it's not a "plug and play" adapter. The engine has to lean back in order for the AOD to clear the firewall, and because of that the coolant resevoir sits too high for the hood to close. I've tried reversing the engine mounts, however the driver side exhaust won't clear the reversed mount (maybe headers, different exhaust manifold?). This brings the engine forward enough if I remove the engine driven fan and run an electric fan (which I do anyway). I'm looking for perhaps other engine mounts that fit, any ideas? Other than that, I'll post here with some pictures once it's all done. Just trying to get her ready for paint!

Comment

• c4clewis
                              Experienced
                              • Aug 18 2010

I installed the adapter from Bendsten transmission for an AOD and the only good solution is too "massage" the pinch weld and trans tunnel at the firewall to allow enough room for the bellhousing to fit comfortably. This is due to the adapters 1.5" thickness. Perhaps a smaller transmission may fit, I don't know. Other than that there is plenty of room in the trans tunnel. Of course, you will have to modify/replace/make the transmission mount.

Another option that I saw at the Goodguys show is Bowler transmission is now making an OD trans with a FE bellhousing. Downside to this one is that it starts at $3500. That's as far as I got on that one!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎