No announcement yet.

disk brakes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

disk brakes

my 60 is under braked,i would like to know what other disk brake systems will fit.
  • Rockin Kev
    Experienced
    • Oct 31 2002

RE: disk brakes

As far as iam aware the only Disc Brakes were fitted to the 65 Thunderbirds. I am unaware if the 65 used the wishbone set up at the front or coil springs. There was talk of this conversion on the V.T.C.I. Web site and so members said that on conversion they would possibly have to shave the wheel arces. This conversion is something i have considered in the past so i will look at a friends 65 soon and see how its set up.
    Kevin.

Comment

• 1960Bird
      Experienced
      • Dec 4 2002

I haven't purchased anything from these folks yet...so do not know about quality etc, but it looks as if they have what is needed.http://www.dropnstop.com/page3.htm

Steve Ronk
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa
      1960 HT 390 cu in, Edelbrock RPM intake, shorty headers, two and one half inch exhaust and 3.70 rear gears...if you are going to go in style you might as well go fast
      390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

I have done the conversion on my 60. 75-80 Granada parts are used. The spindles are almost identical except the lower ball joint hole needs to be machined out to fit the tbird ball joint. The swap is a very easy bolt up job. You can't use your stock t-bird wheels because the rotor hub diameter is too large. All the parts (except the spindals and backing plates that you have to get from the junk yard)can be purchased at NAPA. you have to use a wheel that will fit a granada. Not a problem for guys like me who go a little custom. I use the universal chrome smoothie's. For anyone who wants to do the swap email me and I will email you all the NAPA part numbers and instructions. You can even use the Granada dual master cylinder. rdnolen@comcast.net

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

I have posted a how-to of Rick Nolen's Ford Grenada disc brake conversion at
          http://www.squarebirds.org/disc_brake.htm .

Thanks Rick!

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Alexander,
            I noticed on the break hose diagram that there should be two copper seals, one between the banjo bolt and the hose end and the other one between the hose end and caliper. I may not have had that on my drawing. Also, one more thing I forgot to mention,(sorry!) on the calipers where the break hose bolts onto, there is a lip about an eighth inch high half way around the hole that has to be ground down a little so the copper seal and hose end can fit snug onto the caliper. You are not touching the seating surface, just the lip around it. This will be obvious when you try to attach the hose to the caliper. A simple hand grinder will take care of this and you are not compromising the strength or operation the caliper in any way. Maybe you can add this to the description. Thanks. Rick

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

I have corrected the drawing and text.

Thanks again Rick. I am sure many will use your instructions.

Alexander
              1959 Hardtop
              1960 Golde Top
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

Rick, I have aquestion. What kind of brake hoses are those that require modification? Couls you naot just get Grenada brake hoses and have the auto parts store put a fitting on the other end to be compatible with the 1958 - 1960 Thunderbird brake system?

Incidentally the brake hose system is different on the 1958 Thunderbird than on the 1959-1960 Thunderbird, so people doing this conversion on a 1958 Thunderbird may need to make up another brake hose.

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

I'm not really sure of what car the brake hoses actually belong to. I never thought to ask the guy at NAPA but I'm sure he could tell you when he looks up the number. There may be some sort of adapter that could be used for 58 hoses. I would take the caliper and a 58 hose in to them and see if they can match anything up. I'm curious as to what the differance is between the 58 and 60. As long as the 58 has a fitting at the end of the steel brake line that screws into the end of the hose, it should work. Or you may have to do a little modifying on the 58 brake lines. Also, I will take some pictures of the brake hose attached to the caliper and email them to you so everyone can see the lip on the caliper that needs to be ground down. A bit of caution on this, Only grind enough so that the copper seal sits up further than the lip so that you don't accidentily ruin the seating surface.

Comment

I bought a disc brake kit for my 60 T-bird from

This website is for sale! ndgearheadscruiserproducts.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ndgearheadscruiserproducts.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Very nice people. Now the disc brakes are working great even without a booster. Much better than the stock power drum brakes. They also sale motor/tranny mounts and power-steering kits.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Some Useful Info Hopefully

Comment

• Alexander
                        Webmaster
                        • Oct 30 2002

What kind of wheels did you use with this setup? The site states that the original wheels on 1957-69 Fords will not work even with the optional type of rotors.

Alexander
                        1959 Hardtop
                        1960 Golde Top
                        Alexander
                        1959 Hard Top
                        1960 Golde Top
                        sigpic

Comment

• KULTULZ

Rotor Hub Size

>What kind of wheels did you use with this setup? The site
                          >states that the original wheels on 1957-69 Fords will not
                          >work even with the optional type of rotors.

If you will follow the discussion in my offered URL's in front disc interchange, the wheel interchange info will be given. The trick is, using the seventies intermediate spindles, the hub size was increased in 1972, so wheels from that period must be used also.

Also be aware that a lot of these pre-packaged changeover kits use GM components.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎