X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

Puddle from last night

Went to church today didn't really bother to look under the car but when we came home my wife noticed maybe about 10 drops of red fluid. Oh boy I said. In my hast I cleaned up the newspaper without recalling where I had it positioned. I am going out now and putting paper on the drivers side where he fixed it and center another piece under the extention housing also. Then I'll go from there. I am hoping it's not where the seals are that he repaired already. Can the rear seal and the bushing be gotton at a Nappa store? Is that bushing called a specific name so I can reference it? Could that indicate that it may be the rear seal again? Is the yolk easily taken off and can you tell me what is involved in taking it off? Larry

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The yolk simply pulls out after the drive shaft is disconnected.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Larry Jones
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2009

yolk removal

Thank you John

Comment

• Larry Jones
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2009

second opinon

The mechanic indicated that the transmission was a FMX transmission. Is that the same as a cruismatic transmission. Iam going to make another appointment with a another transmission garage and get a second opinon on the yoke. I don't see why he indicated that the yoke needed to be replaced. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, the FMX is the same as a cruise-o-matic.

Comment

• Larry Jones
              Experienced
              • Feb 3 2009

part number

Is part number on that picture you sent me 4841 that would be called the Yolk. And the top holes on that picture you sent me that's called the yolk and that is connected to part number 4602 which leads to the driveshaft. I have a call into the owner of the shop requesting him to tell me exactly where it was leaking and why would he suggest to replace the yolk. Be patient with me John Thanks for staying with me. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, 4841 is the yolk and 4602 is the drive shaft.

Comment

• Larry Jones
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 3 2009

how many seals

It appears it leaking in the same area John again.I have two separate markings on the cardboard I layed down on the drivers side of the tranny. The mechanic suggested I bring the cardboard with me so I quest he can examine it. He only replaced one seal I really cant make out his writing on the bill. Iam sure he did only what was leaking. Larry.

Comment

I have had fluid leaking from the yoke before

At the rear there is a plug like a freeze plug
                    The fluid can leak past there. We have used epoxy to seal them successfully. I would replace the seal at the same time. The bushing would need to be checked too.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Larry Jones

The mechanic indicated that the transmission was a FMX transmission. Is that the same as a cruismatic transmission.

Iam going to make another appointment with a another transmission garage and get a second opinon on the yoke. I don't see why he indicated that the yoke needed to be replaced.

Larry
                      Your trans style should be an MX. The FMX was not introduced until the 1968 model run.

If the yoke has been damaged/grooved by seal wear, there is a repair sleeve available for a field repair. It also entails a new O/S seal. Maybe this is what he did.

If the bushing is bad (7A011), it will destroy the new seal in no time.

Also as mentioned, if the yoke has a welch plug, they can seep fluid.

Comment

• Larry Jones
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 3 2009

seal maybe leaking

Hello Kultulz. This What is the specific name for this seal. My car is a 1962 thunderbird. When ordering parts either a new yoke or this seal. Would I have to indicate if my model was a early model thunderbird or a later model production thunderbird. Larry

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎