X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbf777
    Experienced
    • Jan 9 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
    With all due respect, if I had a '58 T-bird, I would get a torch and cut those clappers off completely. Dave
    Originally Posted by Frango100
    I donīt think that it will work well without the vertical clapper bolt installed. The axle is hinged to the lower control arm, so when you accelerate, the differential will rotate backwards.................
    The differential will rotate forward during braking,
    So there should be some medium in between the clapper ends to restrict the clapper movement, but still to give it some room to move during suspension movement.

Always give sufficient consideration to the original engineering intent prior to discarding such; as you are now, the new "engineer"!

Scott.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Frango100
      ...With the weight on the wheels, the rear suspension clappers are much more closed than they where before (the vertical clapper bolts and rubbers are not installed). It all drives very well, i only hear some noise from both clapper ends touching each other when the bird comes down after a traffic bump. So at least some rubber should be between the clapper ends to prevent this noise.
      This is a different story from, "The axle is hinged to the lower control arm, so when you accelerate, the differential will rotate backwards.................
      The differential will rotate forward during braking,.."

Neither of us engineered such a screwed-up system. We did learn that the rear axle has four hinges on each side in a parallelogram, not just one hinge. We also learned that 'rolling' is a product of the control arms as the axle moves freely in its range.

Since weight distribution causes the nose to dive and the rear end to lift, naturally there will be some roll because the upper and lower control arms are different lengths. The same happens with the front suspension's control arms.

Frank now has his proof through trial and error. I believe his original apprehension has changed quite a bit. 'Seeing's believing' in this story. Mechanics can visualize the system on paper before it happens. I am baffled that this got passed by Ford Engineers. I'm sure the powers that be had lots of questions for the Mechanical Engineering and Product Development Dept's., over this one. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎