X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karambos
    Apprentice
    • May 28 2009

Engine dress up kit for the 59 Tbird

According to William Wonder's "Thunderbird Resoration Guide 1958-1966" the engine dressup kit for the 1959 Tbird consisted of a chromed air filter, Chrome rocker covers (which I assume means "valve covers?), chrome voltage regulator cover and chrome oil filler cap.

Is there anything else? A friend of mine (another Tbird fanatic) suggested that there were other things that had to be chromed too like the dipstick and master cylinder cover etc.

Any advice is good and of particular interest is some literature to back it up because I may need it to prove the case to my insurance company.

Many thanks
    ~K
    Thunderbird Registry number 33914
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Engine dress up kit for the 59 Tbird

According to the VTCI Official Factory Specifications CD, 7.3.3, The following are considered to be the engine dress up package. The valve covers and bolts. The Air Cleaner. The Voltage Regulator (can have decal on it), and the Oil Filler Cap (can have decal on it). Only those parts are considered to be part of this package. These parts did not come from the factory, but VTCI is allowing them for judging. Others have gone so far as to have chromed MC's, power booster, heater blower cover, etc., but by VTCI rules, they would probably get you a deduction during judging. No dress up kit was allowed for Tbirds with 430 engines.

The external chrome dress up package iaw OFS 7.2.7 consists of the headlight door covers, the air scoop, the windshield wiper wells, the two curved rear extensions, and the two "eyebrows" over the headlights. They will be allowed until 2009 (what the rule is now, Alan can tell us, perhaps), without point deductions, if the set is complete.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Karl, I agree with Ray's comments and that Alan Tast could better state the VTCI rules. For now go to the main page and hit the black search button, on the top right. Enter in ( spelling the exact way ) " chrome dressup engine " and read the thread & posts. That may help. On my 60HT I have the valve covers, air breather, headlight doors & hood scoop trim, chromed just for a little added contrast. On the 58HT, I have left it bone stock, in all areas.
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
        Experienced
        • Jan 5 2008

Originally posted by karambos
        According to William Wonder's "Thunderbird Resoration Guide 1958-1966" the engine dressup kit for the 1959 Tbird consisted of a chromed air filter, Chrome rocker covers (which I assume means "valve covers?), chrome voltage regulator cover and chrome oil filler cap.

Is there anything else? A friend of mine (another Tbird fanatic) suggested that there were other things that had to be chromed too like the dipstick and master cylinder cover etc.

Any advice is good and of particular interest is some literature to back it up because I may need it to prove the case to my insurance company.

Many thanks
        ~K
        The engine dress-up kit "myth" is thoroughly addressed in other posts. As the mantra goes, "Search is your friend." With that being said, it must be remembered that NO parts listing has been found to date for a chrome-plated air cleaner with a '58-'60 T-bird part number. Plated FORD-stamped valve covers were available as part of kit C1AZ-6090-A for '61-'64 full-size Fords which also included the valve cover bolts, "fruit jar"-style master cylinder cap (which is not the same as that used on '58-'60 T-birds), upper radiator cover/fan guard for full-size Fords, dipstick, radiator cap, oil filler cap and open element air cleaner.

There is NO listing for a plated voltage regulator cover that I have found to date with a Ford part number. I have documented and posted in this forum an aftermarket (i.e. Cal-Custom) plated cover packaged circa 1964, which leads me to suspect that those who saw one of these installed on a 'Bird back in the '60s probably thought it was a Ford-offered item.

As for current status of these items in VTCI Concours judging, the Concours Director can answer this question officially. The revision was made in 2005, and with the grace period to allow for changing out non-compliant items having ended last year, it would be appropriate to make the modification point deductions. If I was judging or serving as Head Judge for a VTCI-sanctioned event, I would not hesitate to assess the modification point deduction for dress-up items noted, then score the items for condition, quality of plating, etc. as provided in the Concours Rules.
        Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
        Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
        Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎