X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuusamon
    Experienced
    • Feb 14 2009

60 convertible; window washer system

can't find any parts, pump, nozles or hoses (exept now the vacuum reserve tank maybe) for the washer system, not much info in the shop manual about it.
    where would the nozles be located? and would there be any pump?
    I read somewhere that this original system was not working very good, maybe better than to get a complet washing system from another car? But I like to try to keep all original.
    Attached Files
    sigpicGreets,
    Ronald
    Kuusamo
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Maybe your Bird did not have the option for the washer system?

The original system rarely worked anyways. It was quite problematic for a car as luxurious as the Thunderbird...

sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Ronald,

As Jon said, the window washer system on the Tbird was certainly not one of its good features. As memory serves me, that system was mounted down by the generator and ran off the belt to it. It was usually one of the first things to fail and many in the old days just took it off. There should be a red water bag hanging on the drivers side of the engine well fairly close to the hood latch. It had a hose running out of it, that fed the spray nozzles in that grill in your picture. There were between the knobs for the windshield wipers. They screwed in place and were set up to spray the water on the windshield.

It might be possible to get the washer mechanism off a donor car. The bag is available and probably the spray nozzles also. You might email Eddie ~ EddieB1222@aol.com who has a '60 Tbird he has been parting out. He might have a lot of things you need. Contact Don at Bird Nest also, at 800-232-6378 or email him at: don@tbirdparts.com He might have the parts you will need to put it back in original condition.

I looked to see if I have a picture of my spray nozzles in place, but I do not. I am going out to see Yellow Rose later today and will try to remember to take some pictures. However, I thougt I saw a screw hole in that screened grill section in front of the windshield. That is where, as I recall, one of the spray nozzles screws into place.

On the other hand, if you cannot find the parts, there are electric windshield wiper/washers out there that can be put in place of the manual control which is located behind your glove box. They will run you close to $300 US as I recall.

I hope this helps.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• fomoco59
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 10 2005

Nozzles

The hole in the screen are where the nozzles come thru. My car is not equipped with washers. There would be an switch on the left end of the dash to activate the washer pump if you have that option. Mine is a blank panel.
        Attached Files
        sigpic
        Mike Lemmon
        '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

If that elbow panel is blank, your Tbird probably never had the windshield washer system on it. The chrome slide button that controls the washers look like this. You will see it in the center of the chrome horn ring.
          Attached Files

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Howard Prout
            Experienced
            • Feb 11 2009

Attached are some pictures of the windshield washer setup on my car.The pictures are:
            1. washer nozzle left side
            2. close-up of washer nozzle
            3. washer pump from above (the text in red reads washer pump drive wheel)
            4. washer pump from slightly to the rear
            5. close-up of washer pump
            6. washer hoses right side
            7. washer hose left side
            8. washer fluid reservoir
            9. washer control switch

I hope these help. If you need more info let me know.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Howard Prout; December 1, 2009, 07:22 PM. Reason: addendum
            sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• Howard Prout
              Experienced
              • Feb 11 2009

I reached the limit for attachments on the previous post so had to make a second post to include a couple more pictures that may help. These pix are of a similar mechanism (tag reads C0AE... so presumably for a 1960 Ford). The concept is the same - the vacuum motor pulls up on the arm which also mover the pump drive wheel over to contact the generator drive belt causing the pump wheel to turn. Although the concept is simple, the design didn't produce a durable pump. The impeller siezes quite easily. However, the power applied to the pump wheel causes it to turn no matter what, so the impeller breaks loose from the pump drive shaft - and the pump is shot. That is unless you have a similar spare pump, in which case you can cannibalize the spare pump for parts to make the original one work again - which is why I have a spare pump.
              Attached Files
              sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• kuusamon
                Experienced
                • Feb 14 2009

Thanks everyone,

yes I have the washer control button on the leftside panel near the dash. Also the holes in the screen for the nozles but nothing is there. It means that the previous owner took it out.
                I read that the system was not a very good one, but just for perfectionism to make it original. But I will check for a replacement that works better. Have to see if the operating button inside on the left panel was electrical powered or vacuum hoses run from it. I can, just for the sake of having a washing system, get a working electrical system from an old modern car and when I will found an original by chance I might buy it.

thanks and regards
                sigpicGreets,
                Ronald
                Kuusamo

Comment

• kuusamon
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 14 2009

an old (junk)car that I have standing around is an old nissan bluebird from ´86 from my son. I can take the washing system from that for the time being and adapt it a bit. It is just the (patriotic) idea that those T-birds and other American cars were a 100% American made, all parts etc, nothing came from a 'foreign land´, just the idea of keeping it that way as much as I can.

I've lived in the US a long time (Santa Cruz, Ca) so I still have my old address there which I can use, were a friend lives now. So I collect all the parts that I need by the shops and ebay and have them shipped there. Twice a year my friend has a company container that is going to Europe any to his company and my collected parts go with it. Saves me on shipping especially the heavy stuff.

I still think about wire wheels and some new white-wall tires, see if there are any winter tires in white-walls (winter tires but without studs is ok because I won't be driving it in the middle of the winter here on the arctic circle.

Interesting facts about my car, it was once owned by Ken Harkema from Ken's classics (he worked on the program 'overhaulin' a few times). who sold it to Germany. Years, later,last year, I purchased it from Germany and brought it to Finland.
                  Somebody had previously put a 302 engine in it, but the previous owner just before I bought it, delivered an original 352 with it(came out of a galaxie). The gearbox is a FMX from 1967 (with alu bell housing chrome) probably came from a mustang???

carb. is a 1850-3 (4160) holley also from 1967 I believe. But it will work ok I think.

thanks again for the pics.
                  regards
                  Last edited by kuusamon; December 2, 2009, 04:06 AM. Reason: missing info
                  sigpicGreets,
                  Ronald
                  Kuusamo

Comment

• kuusamon
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 14 2009

P.s, what I saw in the pics I see we have the same idea, thinking about to chrome also the air-filter housing, the power steering cover, valve covers, maybe the air inlet nose on the hood and maybe the ring around the taillights.
                    Saw on ebay, packages of valve covers and aircleaner in chrome and oil pans in chrome(I need a new oil pan anyway. Only thingis that the chrome valve covers do not have the letters 'Ford' or 'thunderbird' raised on them. The purchase these things ready in chrome is cheaper than having my own parts chromed. How is the quality of those parts?
                    regards
                    Last edited by kuusamon; December 2, 2009, 04:07 AM. Reason: spelling error
                    sigpicGreets,
                    Ronald
                    Kuusamo

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Ronald,

There is a lot of information on the Forum about the windshield washer pump and system. I hit the Search button above and did a search on windshield washer and got a lot of hits. This one shows what the '58-'59 and the 60 look like. There are are two different models. I think the bottom one is for the '60, which mounted off the generator. The windshield washer control on that dog leg in the picture is a vacuum operated switch, and according to some, is known to have loss of vacuum problems.

Looking to sell some parts? Looking for a hard to find part? Check here! (***eBay or other auction ads are allowed on this forum only.***)

As for these chrome packages, it is hard to say what their quality is. Some have had problems with valve covers leaking after they have been chromed. The OEM valve covers for your '60 Tbird were yellow with the FORD name on them. I have chromed ones with the THUNDERBIRD name on them, which is not original for that car, but I like them. Chroming can be a problem with pot metal on our cars. The hood air scoop, those curved pieces around the tail lights, and perhaps other parts, are known to bend on you due to the heating process during chroming. I did not use my originals to be chromed. I bought extra parts and chromed them. I had bending problems with my air scoop and my curved pieces around the tail lights with one of them. I was able to get it in place. The air scoop was another story. I had to buy another one to get it right.

The engine picture is of an award winning fully originally restored '60 Tbird.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• kuusamon
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 14 2009

Thanks guys for the pictures and the explanation,
                        learning something every day.
                        Reason why all the questions so soon and one after the other before I actually work on the particular parts at this moment is that I have to think ahead. I am in Finland and there is a company container leaving in March next year to Europe so I have to collect all the parts that I need.

comes to wire wheels, I have read in other threads in this forum about some bad experience with them, leaking wire wheels in case of tubeless.
                        Which brand name wire wheels or dealer is good? and which white-wall tire brand name is good and long lasting?
                        or is your opinion to stick with the original hub caps, I do have original hubcaps on my car. and also a set of practically unused set of whitewalls (summer) is on my car still without the dry-out cracks.

regards
                        sigpicGreets,
                        Ronald
                        Kuusamo

Comment

• tbird430
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 18 2007

I like the original 1960 T-Bird Sunray hub caps with the optional "dress-up" center medallions myself...

-Jon in TX.
                          sigpic
                          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Ronald I would tend to agree with Jon that the original Sunray hubcaps ( optional caps if you wish ) would look great on your 60, especially since it is a convert. However that is the beauty of owning your classic, as you get to put your personality in and on it. The chrome dress up engine, the wire rims, the wide whitewall tires or exterior chrome, is your decision and your vision.If you are a purist and want to keep it period correct, as it rolled off the line, you can do that too.Decisions, decisions
                            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                            Thunderbird Registry
                            58HT #33317
                            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by kuusamon
                              ...Only thing is that the chrome valve covers do not have the letters, 'Ford' or 'thunderbird' raised on them...
                              Patent laws prohibit aftermarket companies from putting "FORD" or "THUNDERBIRD" on their products without a license from Ford. If you see valve covers with these raised letters, they are real Ford products, probably chrome plated by the owner.

Aftermarket places mass-produce chrome covers. They are usually not as heavy as original parts, but they work. Some restorers buy them so they can apply stickers. Not me. I like my original parts in rich, creamy, chrome.
                              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎