No announcement yet.

Control valve stud removal

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever remove the stud from the steering arm.what a pain.

Major PITA. I needed one and just so happened to be 59 Edsel (same control valve) at the local U-pull it. I put a pry bar in for a little bit of leverage as my brother pounded on the end of the steering arm with a big hammer for 25 minutes. just as we were about to give up, it popped out. I was so happy when it did. It was a rare deal that the edsel was there to begin with and I only paid 7 bucks for the valve in good working condition.
    Last edited by Guest; May 9, 2009, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

Yep, been there and done that, big big big pain. Search for ball stud and I bet you'll find it.

Lots of penetrating oil and tons of tapping. Don't go crazy with the hammer, you really don't want to damage the valve.

Someone found a puller that would work, I don't remember who.
      DGS (aka salguod)
      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
      www.salguod.net

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Do a search on "control valve" using the Search function above. It was bcomo that came up with the puller info, if I remember correctly. You will find his posts in that search..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎