• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

jumped the top control switch again

Originally posted by Larry Jones
    T Yesterday being Sept.10 I still didnt have any power coming to the 50 amp circuit breaker or to the top control switch. So then I got under my dash up near the stering column and was looking around and I noticed a small wiring harness coming in from the fire wall. Before I had another problem with this harness I beleive the horn wasnt working or the lights cant remenber but I held my hand on the inside of the engine firewall as my wife pushed on the opposite side.agaist this harness. So today I tested the 50 amp and have power there also to the switch for the top control. Iam feeling good about that Ill wait until noon too try it. Iam not saying but maybe this harness came loose when the mechanics jumped the switch or applied power to it. Also I have to wait to sumit a contribution to the photo site my wife does all of that. Wish me good luck John. Larry
    Well my power was bach in the up and down top control switch John. So I tried to jumper it again one side of the jumper to the center plug and the other wire to the end started up the car and moved the shifer upward to the park position and all I here is a clicked sound. What would that indicate John. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you have power to the top switch and power to both sides of the 50 amp circuit breaker and the trunk lid doesn't operate then the problem is most likely with one of the relays in the trunk or one of the limit switches in the trunk. You can try lifting up on the trunk lid while someone else tries the switch. That may help. The clicking sound you hear is probably the top control relay. Rather than use the jumper I would reconnect the top switch since it worked before.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Larry Jones
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
        If you have power to the top switch and power to both sides of the 50 amp circuit breaker and the trunk lid doesn't operate then the problem is most likely with one of the relays in the trunk or one of the limit switches in the trunk. You can try lifting up on the trunk lid while someone else tries the switch. That may help. The clicking sound you hear is probably the top control relay. Rather than use the jumper I would reconnect the top switch since it worked before.

John
        Thank you John for lending alot of support to my matter. Taking it to a guy who has worked on lincolns with this same type of mechanisms bedore next week. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Larry,

Let us know what he finds.

John

Comment

• Larry Jones
            Experienced
            • Feb 3 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
            Larry,

Let us know what he finds.

John
            Will do. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
              Experienced
              • Feb 3 2009

taking out the back seat

Thank you John for lending alot of support to my matter. Taking it to a guy who has worked on lincolns with this same type of mechanisms bedore next week. Larry
              Iam calling this coming monday to see when this mechanic can see me John. Too maybe get a heads start Would you no how to remove the back seat in my convertible. Thanks Larry

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'62 Convertible Top Problems

I think the back seat of these Tbirds are all mounted like they are in our Squarebirds. There should be two clips, one on either side of the tranny tunnel. Put one hand on the bottom of the left side and the other on the right and pull up. The seat should come loose from the clips and lift up. If that does not work, try putting something between the bottom of the seat and the floor and push up with it to pop the seat loose from the clip. Then do the other side.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As Ray said pull up on the bottom of the back seat from both ends and it will pop out. The back of the seat is held in place by four bolts.

John

Comment

• Larry Jones
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 3 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
                    I think the back seat of these Tbirds are all mounted like they are in our Squarebirds. There should be two clips, one on either side of the tranny tunnel. Put one hand on the bottom of the left side and the other on the right and pull up. The seat should come loose from the clips and lift up. If that does not work, try putting something between the bottom of the seat and the floor and push up with it to pop the seat loose from the clip. Then do the other side.
                    thanks Ill try it tomorrow Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 3 2009

mechanic is doing all the work

thanks Ill try it tomorrow Larry
                      Hi John

The restoration place I took the car too has pulled out the back seat already. Now there configuring that jumper which shows how to jump those eight relays in the back. They only charge 35.00 dollars a hour seems reasonable I should no something later today. Keep you posted. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

$35.00 an hour is certainly reasonable enough. Can't complain about that.

Comment

• Larry Jones
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 3 2009

restoration place called

Hi John

The restoration place I took the car too has pulled out the back seat already. Now there configuring that jumper which shows how to jump those eight relays in the back. They only charge 35.00 dollars a hour seems reasonable I should no something later today. Keep you posted. Larry
                          They called me about 4:00 this afternoon and indicated they got the trunk lid up. They also said some wires were pinched and somescrews didnt line up. THey want me too come up tomorrow John. Until then. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
                            Experienced
                            • Feb 3 2009

They called me about 4:00 this afternoon and indicated they got the trunk lid up. They also said some wires were pinched and somescrews didnt line up. THey want me too come up tomorrow John. Until then. Larry
                            Today sept 18. I was up at there shop watching and observing. The problem was a mechanical one the two thick cables that go to the locking screws was keeping the lid to go all the way down. They also showed me when the flipper lid folded up it buttedaginst a steel rail inside the trunk so now I have a big scratch when the flipper lid is extended thanks too the last bunch of mechanics who worked on it. As I said the top hasnt been put up before. I told them to put di electric grease on all the relays and limit switches also. Plus the screws were loose on holding the bus bar secured also. Ill pick it up tomorrow. No more then. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Larry,

Sounds like you had a myriad of problems inside the trunk. I'm glad you found someone who knows how they work. Otherwise it would've been a nightmare trying to troubleshooting it via the forum.

John

Comment

• Larry Jones
                                Experienced
                                • Feb 3 2009

Mice in the trunk and front seat area

Today sept 18. I was up at there shop watching and observing. The problem was a mechanical one the two thick cables that go to the locking screws was keeping the lid to go all the way down. They also showed me when the flipper lid folded up it buttedaginst a steel rail inside the trunk so now I have a big scratch when the flipper lid is extended thanks too the last bunch of mechanics who worked on it. As I said the top hasnt been put up before. I told them to put di electric grease on all the relays and limit switches also. Plus the screws were loose on holding the bus bar secured also. Ill pick it up tomorrow. No more then. Larry
                                Goodmorning John. The mechanic asked me if I wanted to put the top up. I replied no. He saw some mice evidence under the trunk area plus the front seat. I have used moth balls for the front and back seat area. Any better suggestions for the car short of a cat. Larry

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎